We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Topic
Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Hi,

We are arriving at JFK about 5pm on the Friday going into Labor Day weekend. We are staying in Soho. I am assuming that a taxi will take us a looong time to get to the hotel, so I have been looking into the Airtrain option.

Considering that the Airtrain/ LIRR is supposed to be a lot quicker than the Airtrain/ Subway option I am not sure what will be quicker, based on the fact we are going to Soho.

If we take the LIRR we will end up at Penn Station, then will take a cab to Soho. Will this take up a lot of time and be quite costly? The other option is to take the subway to Lower Manhattan (below 14th St) and then a cab to Soho.

What would be the quickest choice out of these options?

Sorry, hope I have made sense!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Why not just take the subway directly to your hotel, instead of getting off the subway and getting a cab? Where are you staying, exactly?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Why don't you tell us where you're staying. The subway serves SoHo.

The JFK AirTrain connects the terminals with the A train (the subway) at Howard Beach / JFK Airport.

The A train stops at Canal Street (6th Avenue) and West 4th Street (6th Avenue). It is entirely likely that your hotel is within a 5 minute walk of one of those two subway stations.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Oh, I didn't think of that. haha! I think I just had in my mind that it would be two train trips and that would be enough. We are actually travelling from Australia, so not sure how much more we could handle after the flight. Not too keen on lugging two big suitcases and our carry-ons down the street.

Our hotel is Sixty Soho (formerly 60 Thompson).

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

The JFK AirTrain connects the terminals with the A train (the subway) at Howard Beach / JFK Airport.

The A train stops at Canal Street (6th Avenue) and West 4th Street (6th Avenue). It is entirely likely that your hotel is within a 5 minute walk of one of those two subway stations. ???

having just arrived home back in the UK today

can i advise you when you get to Howard Beach (as I also found out on here) don't bother with the metro/subway ticket machines

just get your airtrain ticket & either your single (or 7 day), from the little Kiosk just before you get to the barriers, its much easier and avoids messing/trying to understand the subway ticket machine (after a long day/flight)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Your hotel is about 2/10 mile from the Spring Street station of the E train. If you want to take the AirTrain and subway (and not have to change subway trains) just take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then the E train to Spring Street.

When you get to street level at Spring Street & 6th Avenue, just walk east two short blocks to Thompson Street, turn right, and your hotel is on that block.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 00:02
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

If it were me, I'd take the JFK AirTrain to Howard Beach and get the Manhattan bound A train to Canal St. and walk from there but as you can see, you have options. Both options will work.

JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and then Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center to Spring Street *or* JFK AirTrain to Howard Beach and then the Manhattan bound A train in the direction of 207th Street to Canal Street. Both options will take roughly the same amount of time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,933 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

All the traffic will be going out of Manhattan. Assuming you're either coming from the west coast or further, I'd take a taxi or car service. Either will be a fixed price regardless of traffic. Sit back, RELAX and enjoy the ride.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

Thanks for all your replies.

Oh, that's interesting, nywhiz. I just automatically assumed that we would be arriving during a very bad rush hour and we didn't want to waste two hours or more in a cab after 25 hours travelling. I would much rather the ease of a cab. I just figured it wasn't a good option, so kind of ruled it out and decided to 'study' the Airtrain option!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,933 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

All the traffic will be heading OUT of Manhattan. But the bigger issue is even if you do have traffic, in a taxi or using a car service, it's a fixed price regardless of traffic. So yes, it might be a longer than usual trip, but why fight crowds with luggage in trains if you can sit in the comfort of an air conditioned car?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airtrain/ subway vs Airtrain/ LIRR

I personally prefer Airtrain/LIRR , it is quicker and efficient.

I agree with nywhiz ....just take a cab ...it is fixed price.....and relax after a long flight.