We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
311 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

The good news: I just reserved tickets for the Daily Show for a Thursday in March!

The bad news: Our flight arrives at 2:58pm and we need to be at the studio (11th Avenue & 52nd) by 4pm at the latest to claim our tickets. They will not hold our tickets so we just need to take our chances and try to get there as quickly as possible. My original plan (before I scored the tickets and was just going to the hotel at 8th and 51st) was to take Airtrain and then the E. Should we opt for a cab or car service and hope for the best? Which would be the most reliable and potentially fastest? Thanks NYC experts, your advice is very much appreciated!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

You realize that the New York area airports are notorious for their hours long delays, right?

Particularly domestic / internal flights at JFK as international flights get priority. It is not uncommon to have a 1 - 3 hour delay for short flights (distances under 1,000 miles). Sometimes, when the weather is absolutely perfect, flights arrive on-time but this winter, more flights have been canceled than have arrived on-time - a lot of extensive delays.

Fastest way - if you're on-time and I wouldn't count on it - is JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and then Long Island Rail Road to Penn and then a taxi from Penn to this location.

Also bear in mind that you're arriving during taxi shift change so you could wait 30 minutes for a taxi at JFK and then spend over an hour getting into town in traffic. You are going to the most distant spot possible. JFK is south and east of Manhattan. This location you're going to is upper Midtown in the extreme west part of Manhattan.

Honestly, I don't think I could do this in 62 minutes even if my flight arrived 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

Hey redhead8811:-) Is there any chance you can change your flight?! Pretty much only way to guarantee making it.. even arriving on time ((will you have luggage to wait for?) and using public transport.. you'll be hitting some rush hour traffic at Penn Station heading uptown on 8th Avenue (which is where you'd need to exit.. cab line is right there)! I don't see this happening either unfortunately.. unless you change to an earlier flight;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,911 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

Take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Penn Station and take a cab.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,249 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

I have to agree that, unfortunately, this isn't going to happen unless you change your flight. And will you have luggage? You can't bring luggage with you to the studio.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

I'm with BB. This is not gonna happen with that flight.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
311 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

Thank you all for your honest, yet depressing, responses. Don't think this will work out. Plus I just realized that I misspelled "dilemma" in the subject line....damn.

7. Re: Dilema..JFK to Midtown-Fastest Way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:19