We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

I've been lurking for a while getting ideas for our trip later in the year.

We need to visit sometime between late August and early October. I know that hotel prices can vary depending on 'what's on' so before I go ahead and book flights, are there any days or weeks I should avoid so that we don't have to take a mortgage on our house to find a room?

We'll be staying about two weeks and looking for somewhere in or near Chelsea. Any hotel/b&b ideas would also be appreciated. We're hoping not to pay more than $250 a night incl taxes. We're not fussed about hotel brands, age, size etc as long as it's clean, quiet and close to a subway station.

Thanks so much.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Late August will probably be your best bet. I'm sure you'll get more detailed information but September is one of, if not the, busiest times to visit NYC due to many large events going on.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
293 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

The only real quiet time to visit NYC may be January are Feb. School is out until the first week of September but summer is always a busy time in NYC as is the fall. People who live in the city may be on vacation in August but there will be many tourisits. Not sure if one week is better than others re "what's on". Columbus Day is in October on a monday and that is a popular weekend - again people leave the city but flock to it as well. Keep checking the hotel prices and you may find one week is better than another. Good luck and enjoy! Chelsea is a great area.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

There is the Labor Day holiday weekend, August 28 to September 1.. This is a busy travel time. The US Tennis Open in Flushing is from August 25 to September 8 with possible extra days because of rain delays. Many visitors come for this event, but I do not know how it affects hotels. So, late August to early September is likely a high tourist period.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Sept and Oct are pricey in general.

There are lots of events in Sept and October that could be listed out, but there are other factors that may be harder to predict. I know "Advertising Week" appeared to be affecting prices at the end of September last year when I scouting out my travel dates, and that's not necessarily something people will think about.

The only safe way to choose your dates during this time period is to use a general searching/booking site such as Kayak.com to find hotels for your proposed dates, find something that can be canceled without a fee and book it.

August is generally cheaper, but even end of August has been creeping up.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Agardeninchelsea.com

Or a suite at

Chelsealodge.com

Would be good options for a 2 week stay in Chelsea. I think their prices are less fluctuating than a traditional hotel.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,184 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

July and August are good times to go it will be hot but i myself have been there many times those months .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

PS I would find a place to stay before you book the tickets.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Thanks for all your prompt replies. Since I doubt my DIL will be amenable to the idea of having her baby early just to suit my travel plans, peak season it is.

Both Chelsea lodge and a Garden in Chelsea look perfect. Thanks for that nywhiz.

First two weeks in September after Labour Day is looking promising. Does that mean I have to leave my white shoes at home.? :-))

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Lol ... and maybe up your lodging budget

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit NYC and dates to avoid

Eva, I can also recommend Chelsea Pines. Nice place, handy to transport and fabulous staff. Not sure how the prices will be as September ( as others have said ) is expensive generally.