We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on whirlwind trip, stay is split between NYC & Philly

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
advice on whirlwind trip, stay is split between NYC & Philly

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this upcoming trip and am hoping for some advice. There's going to be so much trying to get from Point A to B to C that I can't think straight anymore! I'm (Mom) taking my high school daughter on a couple of college visits: she is touring Columbia Univ on Mon. Feb 24th. and then follows a student/spends the day at Univ. of Penn on Tues. Feb 25th. I've got us on flights coming from Nebraska to LaGuardia on Sunday, Feb 23 (get in around 1:00 PM) then we will do some site-seeing (we have been to NYC before but it's been awhile) and I booked us into the Nylo hotel through their college arrangement with Columbia. I have tried to figure it out but am still not set on transportation for these events (LGA to Manhattan via M60, Q70 or Q48 bus?) When we were in NYC before we got pretty good with buses and subways and went all over on them, but how quickly one forgets how to manage these when living in Nebraska!

Monday early evening after our Columbia tour I figured we should head to Philly (greyhound bus?, megabus?) and stay at the La Reserve B&B there as she has to be at UPenn by 8:00 AM Tues. morning. When finished there I thought we'd head back to NYC that same day, early evening (via Greyhound bus? megabus? thoughts?) as our flight back home via LGA is already Wed. at 8:30 AM. I've booked us in two places that night.....hoping for advice on this: Best Western Plaza in Long Island City (supposed to be 5 min. from LGA?) and Asiatic Hotel Flushing. Any input on how to manage all the travel aspects of this would be greatly appreciated. Of course we, like many people, are on a budget, so I already figured we wouldn't do the Amtrak between NYC & Phil. even though it'd be a bit quicker. Also, I know taxi's would reduce stress and headaches, but I assume would be quite costly (we're not taxi savvy here in Nebraska!) Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! And I did look in the FAQ and info pages here first before posting.

1. Re: advice on whirlwind trip, stay is split between NYC & Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 13:57
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on whirlwind trip, stay is split between NYC & Philly

Megabus looks very cheap for the NYC-Philadelphia trip (and back). If you want to take a train but not pay Amtrak prices, you can take NJ Transit from NYC to Trenton, NJ and then switch to SEPTA for the Trenton to Philadelphia leg (it's slower than Amtrak -- they make many more stops, and their top speed is lower). But even that approach will cost much more than the bus.

I think you have the right bus routes for LaGuardia, but I'm not knowledgeable on that topic. Did you read the entry in the list of top questions about NYC (on the right side of this page if you're viewing on a PC) about getting from the airport to Manhattan?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on whirlwind trip, stay is split between NYC & Philly

I used the GET DIRECTIONS function on google maps to find out how to get to the Nylo hotel. You're right about which buses, but the M60 is the best for you:

Here's the instructions:

LGA Internal Roadway/Terminal B

BusM60 Bus towards WEST SIDE BWAY - 106 ST via 125 ST

(34 mins, 20 stops)

Walk to Cathedral Pkwy subway station

About 1 min (7 mins to make transfer)

Take the #1 Subway towards South Ferry

4 stops to 79 St

Walk to NYLO New York City

About 2 mins (0.1 mi)

NYLO New York City

2178 Broadway at W 77th Street

Re the Philly bit: Amtrak is faster and more reliable than the buses (the latter get caught in traffic), but at this very late stage, Amtrak is likely to be expensive.

If you go on Amtrak you will leave from and arrive at Penn Station.

* To get to Penn Station from the Nylo Hotel, catch the 1 train. It's a quick ride - 13 minutes.

* To get to Long Island City from Penn Station when you return to NYC - take the F train - 22 minutes

If you go on the bus then find out where it goes from and arrives to and use the Get Directions function on Google Maps to get the equivalent information.

Re your last question about hotel on the Tuesday night: I just did a google search of Best Western Plaza Hotel. Do you mean one at 39-34 21st St? It's 10 minutes from Laguardia in a taxi, but might be longer in the morning. You can check yourself by putting your required arrival time into the search on Get Directions when you decide where you are staying.

If you're going to stay in LIC here's some details of ones that are recommended for a variety of reasons, most particularly staying there for a while and getting to and from Manhattan for sight-seeing. Most of this won't be really that relevant to you given it's just one night, but I am also aware there are other reasons that some places in LIC are not recommended (see the 3rd para below in GWB's excellent summary.

I note that the place you mention is not on that list (unless Best Western Plaza is Best Western City View).

"The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manhattan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn Manhattan View on Van Dam Street, and the Queensboro Hotel."

Hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 05:55
4. Re: advice on whirlwind trip, stay is split between NYC & Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:22