We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

Wiesbaden
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

How does one file a complaint against a NTC hotel regarding a disputed and exorbitant no-show charge?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

If it's disputed, start with your credit card company. Then Department of Consumer Affairs. www.nyc.gov/dca What happened?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

But first, make sure that was NOT a part of the hotel's policy.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

You have not described how--in substance, tone, verbally and/or in writing, and at what level(s)--you have raised the issue internally within the hotel. The answers may bear on the speed, and result, of the outcome.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 15:40
New York
Level Contributor
921 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

Swoop in - post your first message - never to be heard from again?

And is NTC supposed to be NYC?

Almost every hotel I book has a right to cancel up to 24 hours before otherwise they hit you for one nights stay - that is why they take your credit card number, no?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

You have been a member of TA for over 10 years and this is your first contribution to the forums? How was the rest of your trip? Are you planning to post a trip report?

-JimG

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

Hotel's no-show charge should have been stated on website and on your confirmation form. If you didn't like it, you should either never have made the reservation or cancelled it immediately once you realized what policy was.

If no-show policy was not communicated to you, then you may have a basis for contesting the charge with the hotel or your credit card company.

Wiesbaden
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

Neophyte here, member since my first review in 2011, I just discovered you all responded...

After not receiving satisfaction from various levels at the hotel, I wrote the following review. I realize I made a mistake in not contacting Booking.com when I did not receive confirmation to verify that the reservation did not go through. But at the time I was having ongoing computer problems and... I understand when booking a cruise, or a vacation home, that they often charge 100% for a no-show. But this is a hotel. In NEW York City at Christmas time, I'd wager they resold the room. If I had booked with them directly they would have charged me one night as a no show, charging for the whole stay is extreme.

“Hotel charged predatory $1500 for "no-show" through Booking.com”

1 of 5 stars

Pending review

Last September, I booked a 7 night stay over Christmas at Sheraton Four Points Midtown-Times Square on Booking.com with the understanding that it could be cancelled without a fee. My computer locked up after filling out my credit card information and I never received a confirmation email. I made several attempts to search for it but it was not to be found. I should have contacted Booking.com to cancel but I didn't, thinking the reservation did not go through. MY mistake. But the hotel charged me for the whole stay, a whooping $1576. I called and emailed both the hotel and Booking.com several times, each telling me to take it up with the other, and both claiming there was nothing they could do about it. I wrote to the hotel's general manager, Mr. Turano and the Front Desk manager Priscilla Gomez, explained my personal situation, a recent widow with a teenager to raise living in a foreign country and I offered to pay for a one night stay, the standard fee hotels charge their no-show guests. Declined. I have searched Starwood / Sheraton's website to file a complaint, surprise, not one to be found. I tried to leave a completed stay review on the Four-points website, my booking number was rejected. This extremely unsatisfied customer will NEVER stay at a Starwood / Sheraton brand hotel AGAIN or use Booking.com and will do everything in my power to warn others of it's predatory no show policy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

predatory?

your contract is with booking.com NOT with the hotel from what you say

Edited: 11 March 2014, 15:06
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

It appears that Booking.com is with whom you have the issue.

You clearly state that you did not contact Booking.com after your computer failed and you received no confirmation.

Unfortunately, Sheraton, the third party is following their policy - you just assumed that the rezzie did not 'go through' and even though you were having computer issues you left it at that.

While it put you in a difficult situation - as far as I can see neither Booking nor the Sheraton organization is at fault here.

Wouldn't you agree?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: disputed and exorbitant NYC Hotel no-show charge

Margo, thank you for sharing your experience. I too have had a website freeze or crash while I was in the middle of something and not know for sure if the transaction went through. I also understand how difficult websites sometimes make it to find an actual phone number to call. Those are the times that I answer yes to filling out a short survey about the website.

For others who may have this happen, even when I got through to customer service I was told "If it went through you would have gotten an email, so you're all set." I insist on getting an email sent to me saying that they spoke to me on that date and that a charge should not go to my card, because I've had to use that email to dispute charges. I used to have a job where I did a lot of online purchasing and travel arrangements, so had a few problems.