We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

New York
Level Contributor
185 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

My husband will be at HSS for about four nights and I am looking for a convenient hotel in a good location. Both Affinia Gardens and Bentley Hotel are close by, but both have pros and cons. Bentley is between York and FDR Drive and I am concerned that it is too quiet around there at night and I would be uncomfortable walking back to the hotel late at night by myself. The Affinia Gardens is the next option and it looks-eh- it also does not have a restaurant so if I got back to the room late, I would have to hassle about getting food. It is a better walk though, I think, since the Affinia is on 62nd between 2nd and 3rd and I think there is more foot traffic there than by the Bentley. Advice and opinions will be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

The restaurant at the Bentley to my knowledge is not all that great, so having a restaurant in the hotel in this case may not be that big a deal. When my husband was at NY Cornell Weill (across from HSS) I stayed at a friends' apt. literally across the street from the Bentley and walked home alone every night with no problem. There are so many hospitals there, there are always people walking along York ave. If you don't feel comfortable, you can also hop into a taxi for the short ride. There are usually taxis lined up outside the hospital or dropping someone off.

The biggest issue is there aren't many restaurants along York ave. or right near by, so if you're looking for a place that would have places to stop and eat, the Affinia Gardens (where I've ironically stayed in different circumstances) is a better bet. It's like serviced apts. with a full kitchen so you can also easily keep food in the suite if you want. You can also have food delivered at either place. Murphy's Law right near the hotel has decent burgers and sandwiches and would be on the way to either place. I've had lunch there several times but never dinner.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/murphys-law/

New York
Level Contributor
185 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

Thank you so much. Just the right person answered my question. So taking into consideration both hotels, which do you think will fit me best? which do you like better? I think they are both an equal walk? Which hotel is nicer/cleaner? The Affinia is a bit more expensive. I was worried about parking (I live on Long Island) but a great deal on Gilt for parking right by the hospital.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

First let me correct a mistake I made. Murphy's Law which is a pub is right near the hospital, not near either hotel.

http://goo.gl/maps/x4N6d

There is a difference in the walk between the 2 hotels. The Bentley is about a 10 min. walk

http://goo.gl/maps/XUWZ7

while the Affinia Gardens is a 15 min. walk.

http://goo.gl/maps/Mg25j

Which to pick imo depends on how much you plan on going back and forth to the hospital during the day and whether having a kitchen in the room is a plus to you. The Bentley is closer. The Affinia Gardens room will be bigger, will have a full kitchen and is near more activity/walkable places to eat and shop.

I don't know where you're planning to park or the price you got, but there's loads of very in expensive parking near the hospital.

bestparking.com

will show you. I think the Bentley has it's own garage or there's a garage directly next to the hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

PS

oyster.com

has a lot of photos of both hotels, although I don't know how recently they were taken. I also don't know where you're getting your pricing. I would check on

kayak.com

which scans multiple websites and

quikbook.com

which sometimes has lower prices along with checking both hotel's own websites. You should also check by phoning the hotels to see if they have special prices for hospital family. I have found that sometimes you can get a better deal than the hospital price by using a regular booking site or just asking the hotel themselves by phone. If you decide you would rather stay at the Affinia Gardens, I wouldn't be shy about phoning them and asking for a better price. All they can say is no.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

Whatever happened to the hotel at the hospital? I think it was in the building that is or was called the Helmsley Tower. I'm not suggesting the OP would prefer it, but as I recall it was open to HSS patient families, you couldn't beat the convenience, plus the rooms/suites had little kitchens.

I agree walking down York Av. to the Bentley is safe, having walked it myself many times. However, one thing you do need to be careful of, as a pedestrian, is traffic entering and exiting the FDR in the low 60s. There are many car/pedestrian crashes in that area. Also keep in mind that York Av., unlike neighboring avenues, is two-way, so you also need to be careful crossing it.

Also agree there are more shops, restaurants, etc. near the Affinia, as opposed to the Bentley. At Affinia you are also not far from a nice stretch of Lexington Avenue in the low-mid 60s with some nice cafes, restaurants & shops.

6. Re: Bentley Hotel vs Affinia Gardens? Hotel near HSS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:23