We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

Hello everyone. I'm a student traveling the US and my last trip will be to New York for 12 days in mid March (16th til the 28th).

Am I screwed because I'm asking so close to the actual travel date? (I see people asking 6 months prior to travelling and it scares me).

I am a student so I'm kind on a budget (70ish per night). I don't think I will find any hotels for that price and I have been thinking that a private room through Airbnb might be the best idea.

I'm not too picky to be honest. I've slept in really bad hostels but I've always had something special for this city so I want my stay to be as pleasant as possible within my budget.

What are your recommendations? Do you have any suggestions? Pretty much the only thing I know must be critical is proximity to a subway line (specially if it's outside Manhattan).

Any help would be appreciated :)

Edited: 21 February 2014, 05:31
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

Almost all apartment rentals for less than 30 days in NYC are illegal. (In the past, they have also presented issues of scams, health and safety, misdescription of property, financial problems and eviction. More recently, they are the subject of subpoenas in active litigation involving airbn brought by state/city authorities.) In contrast hotels that have unit features, which resemble apartments, are lawful.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo… ,

Edited: 21 February 2014, 09:31
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

Well I was not expecting that.. But Airbnb is based on user feedback though, and you can choose to rent from people with verified ID's, etc. if that's not enough for you.

That article seemed a bit too negative, too. Sure there are scams everywhere but it made it look like 95% of NYC apartment ads are scams..

Anyone else?

Edited: 21 February 2014, 09:48
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

It's true that apartmental rentals of less than 30 days are illegal in New York, but there is still some debate on whether renting a room in someone else's apartment (which I think is more what you mean based on your post above?) is legal. Originally it was thought that the new legislation left this option as legal but then a judge later ruled against that as well. I haven't heard whether that decision was appealed or if there have been any further cases.

Regardless, the chance of a scam is very real. You wouldn't want to show up in New York and have nowhere to stay and also have lost your money.

I really think a hostel is going to be your best option. Hostelling International and the YMCA are two options often proposed on this forum. Perhaps others can provide other options.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

**and you can choose to rent from people with verified ID's, etc. if that's not enough for you.**

That has nothing to do with:

-This option being legal

-Scams

-Etc.

You need a hotel, hostel or apartment style hotel.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

Even for AirBnB hosted rooms for rent with good reviews, the host can get "found out" and shut down. Most apartment landlords and condo/Co-Op buildings prohibit such transactions. The law has been interpreted against hosted rentals to unknown travelers. It's no longer a clear-cut distinction. AirBnB's records for NYC have been subpoenaed, etc.

For hostels, look at Hosteling International and Chelsea International Hostel. Also the new Q4 hotel in Long Island City is hostel-style.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,877 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

couchsurfing might be what you are looking for.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

In Manhattan Rentals go for about $3000-$4000 a month

Why would anyone want to rent an apartment for $70 a night when you can get a long term more stable rental for more money.

So even if you dont care that they are illegal, its a scam because the price is too low.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

I might look into a hostel then. I don't understand how you can be scammed on Airbnb anyways. Your funds are not released until24 hours after you checked in giving you time to actually live where you booked. So how come people pay in full up front and finds out the house doesn't even exist and have their money taken? Makes no sense.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

there are plenty of airbnb ads around manhattan with positive reviews, I'm sure they are all real. Bottom line, airbnb is gaining market over hotel chains and b&B's in NYC and righly so, given the outrageous prices one has to pay for a decent place in a decent location. It is not illegal in other cities where lodging is way more affordable, specially for people like us who travel from abroad and the currency exchange can really affect us for the worse. By the way, I've used airbnb in Miami, Nashville & Memphis, all pleasant experiences.

Also to the people who suggested couch-surfing, please read the poster's original request, he said he wanted his stay to be as comfortable as possible within a reasonable budget. If you've ever couch-surfed, you will know you can end up having either a whole room to yourself or sleep on the floor, which has happened to a dear friend of mine in Ireland. Please advise wisely.

Additionally, with all due respect to the expert advisors on this forum, I would suggest to leave hostelling recommendations to those who have actually researched them or stayed in one. YMCA, mentioned by another poster above is no longer the safest / clean / better option it used to be and for the price, there are much better choices.

Just the two cents' worth of someone who is also researching hostels in NYC for people over 30. I'll be happy to report my findings once I'm back in November.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,382 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb or hotel for 12 day-stay in NYC?

I've used AirBNB in Los Angeles, myself. But Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville and Memphis aren't New York City. We have a right to set our own laws about residential property, as long as they're constitutional - that's federalism and part of the American project. We, through our city council, have decided that turning apartments which should be occupied by long-term residents into hotel rooms is something we don't want in our city, which has a desperate housing shortage and where long-term residents have trouble finding homes.