We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving luggage

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Topic
Leaving luggage

I will be leaving my hotel in the morning and due to staying in TriBeCa region I plan to head up to Manhattan and spend the whole day at Central Park before heading off to JFK at approx 6pm.

Is there any place I can leave 2 suitcases for a period of the day.

Maybe a station that I will be using on way to JFK or is there somewhere else suitable ?

Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
264 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,159 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving luggage

Why not just leave them at your hotel?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving luggage

I really didn't want to head back from midtown down to TriBeCa, as it is probably easier to get to JFK from Midtown.

Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
264 Reviews
New York City, NY
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving luggage

There is a Schwartz Travel near Penn Station on 36th Street. We used it in December coming straight off a cruise and it was fine. That said, you might find that asking your hotel to hold your luggage will end up much cheaper. I'd weigh up each of the costs versus convenience.

http://schwartztravel.com/

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving luggage

BJNI that does look perfect and I think being able to visit the sites longer will benefit over cost on this occassion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving luggage

I disagree.

Tribeca is hardly so out of the way that dragging your bags to a luggage storage outlet, waiting to hand them over and then waiting to retrieve them is a better option.

Besides, heading back to the hotel means you've got a bathroom to freshen up in before heading to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
264 Reviews
New York City, NY
Australia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving luggage

"Besides, heading back to the hotel means you've got a bathroom to freshen up in before heading to the airport."

That would only apply if you've either paid to keep the room for the rest of that day (generally only available if you purchase another night), or if the hotel has a hospitality suite.

I do agree though that Tribeca is close, and jumping on the subway to get to Tribeca would take only a little while longer than getting off near 36th to go collect luggage from a storage facility (that you'd need to waste time getting to in the first place to leave your luggage), not to mention paying to store it, when you could likely store it for free at your hotel!

Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
264 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving luggage

**That would only apply if you've either paid to keep the room for the rest of that day (generally only available if you purchase another night), or if the hotel has a hospitality suite.**

Not 100%. The Smyth hotel has a gym and the OP an use that to freshen up before leaving. (I am not talking about a full shower, etc.)

Australia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving luggage

Fair enough. I hadn't read where the OP was staying. Sounds like a fancy hotel gym if it has facilities other than gym equipment though!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving luggage

The Smyth looks so lovely. I vote for the OP to leave luggage and stop back there to freshen up, check flight status and have a sip of something at that sweet little bar ;)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving luggage

Another vote for leaving it at the hotel. I have used Schwartz before and they are fine, but that time my hotel was almost an hour away from midtown in distant Brooklyn. If I was staying anywhere in Manhattan or LIC, I'd just leave it at the hotel and retrieve it on the way to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
367 Reviews
Long Island City, NY