We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

Nashville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Topic
Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

Myself and a friend are from Nashville and will be in Philadelphia for 2 weeks of training for our company. On the weekend that we are off we are gonna Greyhound it up to NYC for the weekend. We are getting there Friday evening and leaving Monday morning. We are staying at the Wyndham Garden, Long Island City Manhattan View on 44-29 9th St, Long Island City, NY 11101. We are in our mid 20's and are going to do some sight seeing during the day, but we are also interested in night life. Where are the good places to party? What has pretty good drinks? Are there places near our hotel or should we go to Manhattan? I seriously have never been north of Kentucky so any other general advice would be awesome! Thanks.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

First, read this: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

Then get a guide book out of the library & read it.

When you have a more specific idea of what you want to do, post it here & the wonderful destination experts will help you but there's so much to do in the city, it's hard to make recommendations without narrowing down your questions a bit.

Nashville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

I'm sorry. I didn't meant be so vague. I guess my question is if you had just 2 days in New York, first time ever in the city, what would you do without spending too much money. What are the good night life places for college age/20 somethings. What are the eats and places to drink close to my hotel? Thank you for the link I will check it out.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

I liked the village - check out bleecker street

New York
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

Philly's a lot of fun too!

For nightlife, I really like the East Village and Lower East Side. Chelsea and Greenwich Village too. I'd suggest doing a little research on Yelp, doing a nightlife search in the various neighborhoods and seeing what strikes you as a good time.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 21:05
Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

If you are not going to get a guide book and read it (which some may not), I would recommend seeing things that are free and don't take a lot of time. I wouldn't bother with things like the empire state building, top of the rock, statue of liberty, etc. Visit Times Square and just take in the lights and activity, visit Rockefeller Center to see the ice skating rink, at least go down and see the freedom tower (you can visit the world trade center site for a minimal donation - but plan that ahead of time because you need tickets). go on the Staten Island Ferry - its free and you can see the Statue of Liberty from the ferry - she's beautiful on a clear day. As far as drinks and partying - I would just play it by ear and stop in the many many little pubs (times square will be more expensive). Do some research on this site and you will be good to go. Have fun - use the subway (hopstop.com is best for newbies) try not to use taxis, its too costly. I hope this was helpful.

Nashville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

Thanks everyone for the responses. It is definitely overwhelming trying to plan a short trip somewhere you have never been!

New York
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

What are the dates of your trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

Cheap, 2 full days and first time......

I would visit Central Park

I would go over to Brooklyn for a look at THAT view and then walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge

I'd go on the Staten Island Ferry which would give you a view of the Statue of Liberty. It's a fairly close view of the Statue on the way over to SI, tho' not as close as either going to Liberty Island, or on a boat ride like Circle Line Ferries or the water taxi.

I would pay for one of the up on high views - Empire State Building or Top of the Rock (I prefer the ESB but many prefer ToTR).

Here's the FAQ of cheap/free things in NYC:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62659/New-Yor…

Cyblume has already posted the link to the FAQ on must-see's and must-do's:

I'd do 2-3 of these things each day.

Evening - if you want to party, then maybe you'll only have the energy and daylight hours for one of the day time things each of the Saturday and Sunday. Also drinks can be pretty pricey, (tho' I don't know if that's a NYC thing or if wine and cocktails are generally expensive in the US). So if your budget is an issue, you may need to do the free sightseeing things to save your $$ for the drinks.

Nashville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

We will be getting into town around 5pm March 7th, and leaving Monday morning March 10th.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 22:23
New York
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend trip to NYC, first timers!

If I were in your shoes, I'd...

1. Buy a NYC street wise map.

http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Manhattan-Map-Laminated-Folding/dp/1886705976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393021846&sr=8-1&keywords=map+nyc

2. Read some Yelp reviews to find restaurants/bars I'd like to try. Then I'd go over to hopstop.com and get directions. I'm a research nerd though, so I'd find this part fun. If you're not, just know that hopstop is awesome and the best (imo) site and app to use for getting around the city.

3. I'd look at these free tours for the dates I'll be in NYC and book one that looks good to me.

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/… Although free, it's customary to tip $10+. Tours are good b/c they'll help you get the lay of the land while meeting people and learning interesting info. I've not yet done a tour b/c I was born in NYC, grew up nearby, and have always had some local friends to show me around. But if I were entering the city totally new to all of it, I'd absolutely take a waking tour on my first day or two.

4. For cheap and tasty food, you have infinite options: Shake Shack burgers, dumplings in Chinatown (Prosperity's a good one that has 5 dumplings for $1), halal food carts (the midtown one is famous and gives tons of food for like $6), falafels at Mamouns, pizza by the slice at Joe's in the Village, bagel at Ess-a-Bagel...so much.

5. For bars, I'd do a pub crawl in the East Village, but really, you have many, many options on this front.

6. For sightseeing, I'd check out Central Park, look at the MET, if into skyscraper architecture walk through midtown, the NY Public Library is really pretty, check out Grand Central Terminal. Downtown maybe ride the SI ferry to get out on the water. Pick some neighborhoods and stroll through, maybe base that on where you want to eat. But all of this is so subjective. So writing this feels really odd for me haha, but I just wanted to give a little bit of a starting point for things to consider. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great time!

Edited: 21 February 2014, 22:49