We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway at Grand Central

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Subway at Grand Central

When you look at a map it looks like all the lines are concentrated near 42nd St - S, 7, 456 - but are there many exits like there are at the stations near Times Square? Or is it a pretty compact, not so much walking subway exchange? I remember going from the S to the 456 and thought it was very quick and a very short flight of stairs.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway at Grand Central

If you get off a #7 train at the east end of the platform it can be a bit of a walk, but otherwise you are right, it is reasonably compact.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway at Grand Central

Thanks, Numbers. I guess Metro North takes up the bulk of the huge station.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway at Grand Central

Yes - Metro-North takes up most of Grand Central. The 7 is almost directly below the 4,5,6. The Shuttle is slightly to the west of the 4,5,6. It is fairly compact and easy.

The beauty of Grand Central is that if the weather is really really bad and you have an unlimited MetroCard (and it is a weekday), you can essentially work your way from the southwest corner of 42nd St. / 3rd Avenue to 47th and Madison entirely underground (there are plenty of stairs and escalators involved but hey if we're having a torrential thunderstorm...)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway at Grand Central

That's great! I just googled around the SW corner of 42nd and 3rd and just saw a big CVS - is there a subway entrance hidden there somewhere? And once you're inside, are there signs to get around the streets without getting on a train?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway at Grand Central

There are signs marking the exits - yes. It is pretty open / airy. It is a beautiful train station. There is also an Apple store and some good restaurants in there.

The entrance is just past CVS on 42nd Street - it is actually about one fifth / one sixth of the way west from Third Avenue to Lexington - it's not actually on the corner. It is possible to miss it so it is worth having a look at google street view - if you look at street view you should be able to see it. Note that this is a fare-controlled subway entrance - not a free entrance to Grand Central Terminal

Edited: 21 February 2014, 23:28
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway at Grand Central

Now I see it - in between Foot Locker and Starbucks. If you go in there can you get to all the subway trains, too?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway at Grand Central

Yes - you can get to all the subways but unless it is really cold / raining / snowing, it is easier to simply walk to 42nd Street / Lexington if you want the 4 / 5 / 6. The short answer is yes but the 7 train is deeper below ground than all the others. You have to go all the way down to the 7 train platform and walk almost two thirds of the way down the platform to the stairs up to the 4 / 5 / 6. The only reason to do this is extreme cold / snowy or icy conditions or caught in a big thunderstorm.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway at Grand Central

Thanks!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway at Grand Central

The big thing to remember at Grand Central is that there are multiple levels for the platforms. The first level underground is a general mezzanine with the shuttle to Times Square at the west end. The next level down is the Lexington Avenue trains #4, 5, and 6. The lowest level is for the #7 Flushing Line. There are escalators and elevator from the #7 platform to the highest level. There are also stairs that connect with the middle level. The #7 train runs into Times Square and can be used instead of the shuttle which is less frequent generally.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 01:19
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway at Grand Central

So if I go to the Queens Museum to see the Panorama it will be the bowels of the earth 7 - I can deal with that. Otherwise piece of cake.