We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Manhattan

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Manhattan

This is our third trip to NYC and we have always taken a taxi Into Manhattan. This time we thought we would try the Air Train and either subway or LIRR. We are staying at the Springhill Suites near Times Square. Which would be the the easiest option, the LIRR to

Penn or the subway?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Manhattan

You're at 25 West 37th Street, right? Bear in mind that with the recent explosion of hotels opening in New York City (maybe explosion wasn't the best choice of words but I don't know how else to say it), it is difficult to keep track of exactly where the hotel's people are referring to are located.

Assuming I have the address correct, you're about a 7 - 8 minute walk from Penn Station. My preference is always the JFK AirTrain / Long Island Rail Road for $12.00 (weekdays off-peak) and $9.00 (weekends "CityTicket") It is always $5.00 for the JFK AirTrain no matter what. Then it is either $7.00 ("off peak" - assuming you're not going to be getting into Manhattan before 10:00AM) or $4.00 ("CityTicket" - valid Saturdays and Sundays only - not valid on bank holiday Mondays - must be a Saturday or a Sunday).

Trains are very fast and very frequent. The transfer at Jamaica is also very easy and very pleasant. The LIRR is above ground (which I like). Fast, frequent and very reliable (all my favorite things in choosing a mode of transportation). Exit Penn at 34th St / 7th Avenue and walk east one block to 6th Avenue (with Macy's on your left hand side). Hang a left on 6th and then a right on 37th and into your hotel.

The whole thing should take under an hour.

There are uniformed people at Jamaica to help with fare control and tickets. There are also police officers on the mezzanine above the LIRR trains and there is a staffed information booth on the platform. Easy - well-marked and very safe / reliable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Manhattan

Thanks for your help and directions looks easy enough will give it a go.

3. Re: JFK to Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:17