We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Hi all

I know you're probably ALL sick of NYE questions - so I'll try and keep this one simple. We are two late 20/early 30 couples who will be in NYC for NYE. I'm looking at accommodation and have found a deal for a double room (two 'full size beds') at the Courtyard Marriott on Fifth Ave. Its right near Bryant Park and looks close enough to Times Square (yes - we will be there for NYE -- at Rosie O'Grady's. No braving the elements here).

So my two questions - it averages at $360/night - is this decent for basic accommodation close to Times Square over NYE? And would it be safe to walk from Times Square back to the hotel at say 2:00am on NYE? As I'm guessing its going to be near impossible to get a cab.

Thanks in advance

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

You're right - this is a long time away - the hotel price seems OK for the time period.

As for safe - a MILLION people crowd the TS area for the festivities - so you just have to keep your wits about you - cabs, I think would be out of the question - plus it is not that long of a distance from TS anyway.

The reason for no response to your query until now is that again, people are tired of NYE questions so soon after it has occurred.

Poppa

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Thanks Poppa - I figured we should be right, provided we have our wits about us. I would like to book soonish to hopefully avoid any price increases, which is why I'm bothering everyone 11 months out!

thanks again.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,823 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Is it a cancellable rate?

Sounds not a bad price for NYE (even averaged out).

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

No its an advanced pay non-cancellation rate - I had a look on the Marriott site and their rates are the same (they have a lowest price garuantee thing).

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,333 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

I would not book a non refundable rate this far out. I would book a fully refundable room and keep looking, I would have to be madly in love with the hotel to lock in.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Are you kidding? You're going to fly half way around the world to stay 4 in a room with 2 double beds and go to Rosie O'Grady's??? Go to SYDNEY! Stay in a nice hotel..see great fireworks. Save your money!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Hi NYWhiz - we aren't going just for NYE - we're actually spending 7 weeks in North America and figure while we are there, we'll do NYE in NYC.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

you will be perfectly safe every night you are there. on nye you may end up getting separated in the crush of people so just have a plan where you will meet up. you may want to continue to look for a hotel. double beds usually mean one of you will have knees in your back all night long :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Tessa, it's a fine hotel in a perfectly safe and convenient area. I just have a problem thinking about 2 couples sharing a room with 2 double beds (not even queens!) coming halfway round the world. If you're happy with the arrangement, it's fine. I don't know how long you'll be in NYC but I wouldn't want this sharing arrangement for very long. I would hope with 7 weeks in North America, you'd want to see something of NYC besides NYE. Frankly, I wouldn't come to NYC for NYE. It's terribly overpriced and not very comfortable. I'd come to NYC for Xmas and spend NYE elsewhere. Hotel prices around Xmas are quite affordable, lots of restaurants are open, the Xmas decorations are fabulous and the city is really at it's best.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave for NYE

Thanks NYWhiz - we'll be there for four nights. We are spending Christmas skiing in Whistler BC - we want to spend NYE there for the whole bucket list thing. We'll be there a few days before NYE - will the Xmas decorations still be up?

We're looking at the double room because we're not planning on spending too much time there and can't justify paying nearly double that for two seperate rooms. Not ideal, but it is only four nights and I hope we'll be able to manage!