We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel St. James NYC

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel St. James NYC

I hope to stay in the city this year with my Family. I have looked at the St James and it appears to be pretty nice. I don't think there is a breakfast? I see on the Google maps that there are places to eat nearby. But with 6 people, we cannot afford an IHOP Breakfast everyday. Are there any small deli's close by? Hard rolls, pastries, coffee, meat, cheese. What about a nice place for dinner? We have been to The City before, and stayed up on the upper east side, E 71st area. We would always stop at a corner deli and grab bread, meat and cheese. or eat off the street vendor carts. Then have a nice dinner. Any ideas or input will be appreciated. Looks like I am getting the rooms (2) for $161 a night (5 nights) plus taxes. Thanks to all.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,771 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel St. James NYC

Staying near Times Square can mean more expensive food, not-so-great food, and fewer local inexpensive food options. It's "tourist central". Is there a particular reason you are staying near TS?

If you provide your exact dates (prices fluctuate), number of people in each room and bedding needs, max budget, forum members may be able to suggest other hotel choices. They might be places that include breakfast, or are a lower price but convenient by subway, or in a neighborhood with better local food choices, or maybe even something with a refrigerator or kitchenette.

When you think about the affordability of eating breakfast out, think about your overall budget. I have a feeling that an IHOP-priced breakfast (what is that, $7 per person plus tip?) wouldn't really break your budget. Have you really priced out your activities and eating to the point where you think that paying for breakfast will be problematic?

Also keep in mind that eating breakfast out can be a VERY enjoyable way to explore NYC food. Think of it as a fun activity rather than just an expense.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel St. James NYC

Very Well put, your reply. Our dates will be 22-27 Dec. Party includes: Grandparents, Dau & son-in -law & 2 grand daughters ages 13 &14. We will require 3 beds, double or better yet, queen size. We must drive up from Florida. Hopefully we have extended parking at (Retired Military) Fort Wadsworth, then take the ferry over. Get on the subway and proceed to our lodging. A small kitchenette would be great. I consider $7 a day plus tip X 6 people a bit to much for breakfast. $50 a day for 6 people breakfast, not counting the other 2 meals, snacks, beverages, etc. I agree that eating breakfast with the locals would be a cultural experience. In past times I have did that. But one must budget. $2000 for lodging, 5 nights. 6 people for daily food. Sights. Entertainment. Transportation. and etc. Can get into the high cost numbers. $3000-$4000 for 5 days total. Then we have to work our way back to Fla. 1500 miles or so. But I will keep looking and posting. Many Thanks for your reply.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel St. James NYC

In google maps, street view, I see two candidates adjacent to St. James 1) Dunhill Cafe 2) Cranberry Cafe. Adjacent as in, go out the door, take a right, walk 20 feet. If they're like a lot of places in NY you can get the kind of breakfast items you mention to go. Another possibility, on a recent trip my wife and I went to grocery in Manhattan, D'Agastinos, and got breakfast items for the room (we had a little kitchenette so we could make oatmeal, add some blueberries, etc. great breakfast & cheap). So be advised there are lots of groceries (big ones like Whole Foods, D'agastinos, Gristedes as well as tons of little ones too numerous to mention) in Manhattan. If you wanted to go to a big one you might want to take a cab or bus since those tend to be away from the center of town.

As to dinner, if you give details re: what kind of food do you like, price range, what ages are your group, folks here can make suggestions.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 00:25
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel St. James NYC

The St. James imo is not very nice. Look at the Skyline hotel which has parking for $10/night and large rooms and an indoor pool. Breakfast in NYC is CHEAP. All you need is a fridge in the room and you can eat in if you want.

5. Re: Hotel St. James NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:19