We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will this timing work?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Will this timing work?

We will be arriving on a Tues in April via Amtrak at 12:15. Is it reasonable to think we can check in or drop luggage at the HGI Central Park South, have lunch, and be at the 9/11 Tribute Center for a walking tour at 3PM? I've already seen the great thread listing places to eat near the Tribute Center, so we'll plan on grabbing something quick around there.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,390 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will this timing work?

You might be cutting it fine. You will need to get from Penn Station up to the hotel (about 5-10 mins), check in etc, then take another train back downtown (this is about 30 mins). My Amtrak train was 45 mins late getting into Penn Station. So if yours is late that's extra time you'll need. If worst comes to worst you might have to skip lunch or be lucky to just grab something on the way.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 06:42
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Will this timing work?

You really are at the mercy of AMTRAK - if the train arrives on time, yes, however may be cutting it close.

Any chance of an earlier arrival?

In any case - good luck.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will this timing work?

I wouldnt book anything that close on the day you arrive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will this timing work?

I think if you're train is close to on time, you will be fine. Assuming an on time arrival you should be checked in and ready to by 1 PM. Figure a half hour to get downtown and you've got plenty of time for a quick bite. Maybe it would be good to check with the tribute center what their cancellation policies are in case your train is delayed.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will this timing work?

That's tight.

When done checking in, go right over to Columbus Circle. Get on a downtown A or C, whichever comes first. Switch to the downtown E at 42nd. Meaning, just get off the train and wait on that platform for an E.

While waiting, walk to the south end of the platform, where the front of the train will be.

WTC is the last stop. Exit, turn left, go halfway upthe stairs. Turn right and go up the second set of stairs to the right. (The staircase is shaped like a T).

A graveyard and church should be on your left as you come up the stairs. Walk straight ahead on Church Street, about five blocks south.

There will be a plaza five blocks down. A Burger King is on the right. Criss to the Burger King and continue to the end of the block, a firehouse. Turn left and you'll see the entrance.

If you have 20 minutes or more before your appointment, stop in at the church. Not only is it loaded with 9/11 history, it has toilets. The Memorial has none, though it does have waterfalls. The waterfalls often affect people's bladders. Why restrooms were never installed near the memorial has been a sore point with the guiding community ever since it opened.

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will this timing work?

Check in time is 3pm. You would need to see if they will store your luggage on arrival or hope they will allow you to check in early if you try to do it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will this timing work?

Their website says they have luggage storage, so we should be alright there. It seems doable if the train is on time, but I have no idea how often they run late (I haven't taken Amtrak since I was about 10 years old, and I have no idea if they were on time then...)

Thanks for the advice. I thought it might be tight, but my daughter wanted to do it that day so we'd have a day with nothing prebooked.

8. Re: Will this timing work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:17