We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice nyc september

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hotel advice nyc september

First time in NYC with gf staying for 4 nights from 18 Sep checking out on 22. Looking for fairly central for around $170 per night. Can anyone advise if this is a reasonable price? Doesn't need to be 5 star obviously but just a bed and a shower somewhere clean and comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel advice nyc september

September is one of the highest demand months in the city. UN general assembly, fashion week, good weather, etc. I think that's probably a bit low for Manhattan, you might try the LIC hotels in Queens (lots of topics on it you can search for), or consider bidding on Priceline's Name Your Own Price, but read up on Betterbidding.com for tips before diving in.

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
378 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel advice nyc september

You will not find a hotel in Manhattan with private bathroom at that price.

Chelsealodge.com

has rooms with shower and sink and you use a loo down the hall and not bad. That MIGHT work. Otherwise,staying just outside Manhattan in Long Island City near a subway station is the best option...assuming you're flying into JFK. If you're flying into Newark, imo Jersey City hotels near a PATH train are better.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 19:09
Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel advice nyc september

cheers for the help. i can move upwards on the budget if i need to. If we shared a bathroom the GF would kill me !!

I might consider LIC too, it looks easy enough to get to manhattan from there and i am flying into JFK.

is there a website I can register for for hotel sales or deals?

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
378 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,663 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel advice nyc september

Travelzoo is a good one to register for.

Iowa
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel advice nyc september

I second the Travel Zoo recommendation. We just got a great deal for the end of March - The Distrikt for $180/night including taxes. But you won't find any deals now for Sept., so wait until the middle of July, when pricing starts to reflect inventory.

Mentioned in this post
Distrikt Hotel New York City
Distrikt Hotel New York...
5,816 Reviews
New York City, NY
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel advice nyc september

We've had good luck using Priceline for NYC hotels. If you aren't familiar with the process, reading betterbidding and biddingfortravel is very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel advice nyc september

Substantial sales for that time period are VERY unlikely. Prices will likely go up closer to travel time. Be sure you have something acceptable booked. You can book something with free cancellation while you watch for better pricing.

If you'd like some suggestions, post a new max budget. It's fine to indicate that you'd prefer to be lower. Also keep in mind that taxes will add ~15% to the base nightly price.

Orbitz.com has the Verve in Long Island City for $169 + tax, free cancellation. That's one of the nicer hotels among those that are well-located in LIC (not all LIC are conveniently located)

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
378 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel advice nyc september

Thank for all the help. I managed to get in Affinia Dumont a little over what i wanted to pay but it is not untl September so I wont remeber what I payed by the time I get there and I might never be back!!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel advice nyc september

Affinia Dumont is a great choice. Enjoy your trip!

wales
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel advice nyc september

Where did you book the affinia DuPont to pllease