We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hours stay over in NYC... What to do?

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
12 hours stay over in NYC... What to do?

Flying in September to Brazil. On the way back it will land a 6.20am in JFK and my connection flight is not until 6.20pm

Was wandering grabbing a cab into the city to catch up with a friend and spend some quality hours in my favourite city.

Is it worth it? And do I need to pick up my luggage and check it in again?

Any advise?

Also wanted to do Central Park and maybe some shopping in Soho, haven't seen the new World trade centre memorial yet you guys think I have enough time?

Any other ideas?

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,976 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hours stay over in NYC... What to do?

You'll have to clear immigration, get your bags, clear customs, and recheck your luggage on arrival. Yes, you have to collect and recheck your luggage. That will probably take between one and two hours. It's at least an hour to get to Manhattan, as long as you take the train, and an hour to get back. If you take a cab, you'll hit rush hour traffic, and you'll likely waste at least another half hour, if not another hour. Take the train, it's cheaper and faster. And you'll need to get to the airport at least two hours before your flight. Plan to take the train back, otherwise you'll be dealing with rush hour getting back, also. So you probably have four hours total, maybe five if everything works well. For me, if I had friends who were free to see me, it would be worth it, but the things you've listed here are two days of a normal itinerary. You have to be more focused.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hours stay over in NYC... What to do?

Thank you

3. Re: 12 hours stay over in NYC... What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:18