We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is good value from Groupon?

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
What is good value from Groupon?

This may seem a bit random, but I was just browsing through the Groupon deals and wondered if anyone on the TA forum had any suggestions of things they thought were good value through Groupon, whether it is activities, tours or restaurants. I recently bought the $4 audio tour for Grand Central Station which was a small saving for our trip in April.

Does anyone have any other suggestions pr recommendations?

5 weeks until we go :-)

Thanks

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

Groupon does offer both tourists and locals some very good deals but keep in mind that just because something is on Groupon and is listed as a 50% off deal doesn't mean it's a good deal. Be sure to compare comparable services/deals. If an overpriced company gives you a "deal" it doesn't mean you're actually saving money. Also be sure to check reviews for the company and the product/service before buying it. Make sure it something that is a good deal for you.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

Thanks, yes I agree, in the UK we find some of the prices are inflated and not good value at all compared with 'normal' prices, however we have used them in Australia and saved a bit of money on other things, e.g. bike tours. I just wondered if there were any particular deals that stood out as being good value.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

I just looked at current Groupon offers. "Up to 68% off Colon Hydrotherapy" ... Sounds like a winner to me. Be sure to write a detailed Trip Report! :-D

Seriously, for restaurants, the value of Groupon restaurant deals is debatable, but when traveling, it's even worse.

When you pre-pay, that means you have to go to that restaurant or lose your money. In many cases, you also have to pre-book (specifying that you have a groupon at reservation time).

What if you can't get a reservation at the time you want to go? What if you discover lots of other great restaurants you would LOVE to try (and you will!) then feel "stuck" going with your prior choice because it's prepaid?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

When I was considering TravelZoo restaurant deals, someone pointed out that they calc the savings based on assumption that you order the most expensive thing on the menu. So the discount is skewed in that regard.

Where I learned this was in the Deal's 'comments' section. This is where TravelZoo users weigh in on how good the deal is (or isn't). Lot of information in the comments. Hopefully Groupon has this feature.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

Colon Hydrotherapy! I think I will pass on that one although it would make interesting reading in a TR!!! ;-)

Got front row mezzanine tickets for Stomp via Travelzoo and think I did pretty well there. I think food wise, we have ear marked a couple of nice restaurants for our evening meal from the top few recommendations on here and we are not massive eaters so by time we have had a nice breakfast (probably eat at Tick Tock as it is next to the New Yorker Hotel) I don't think we will fit that much in! We have noted some good recommendations for 'street food' so I think you're probably right and we'll steer away from the restaurant deals.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

I found a deal on travelzoo for The Marshal restaurant in Hells Kitchen. It looks pretty good!

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

I saw a lot of two for one deals on food tours and tours in general, as I am going alone though there's no point, but great for couples.

There's also a ton of hairdressing/facial offers that could be ideal if you're planning some down time.

I'm actually getting my teeth whitened in NYC on a Groupon, $69 down from $800. Hopefully they won't glow in the dark...!

8. Re: What is good value from Groupon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19