We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Hello all. Long time listener, first time caller!

I've been on the TA stalk for a while and have put together this itinerary for our NY leg of our honeymoon adventure. Us- recently married. 27/31 yrs old. Further travels after NY are to DC, Boston, Orlando, Miami, L.A, Vegas, San Fran and Mexico. Accom booked at Beacon Hotel. We are not on a strict budget but don't have money to throw around.

Any thoughts on below most appreciated :) (but don't be overly mean!!!)

March 31-

Fly from Melbourne via LA to New York landing at 5:45pm at JFK (in theory!!!)

-Check into Beacon Hotel

-Go for a wander and check out times square

-ESB at night

April 1-

-10am ferry to pedestal access SOL and Ellis Island (booked)

- Frances Tavern

-9/11 Tribute Centre

- Upright Citizens Brigade Comedy Club

April 2-

- TOTR at opening

- Central Park

- Husband seeing Matilda at 3 (booked) and I'll check out Century 21

- Dinner at Desmonds Steak House (groupon)

April 3-

-Walk the high line

-Grand Central

- Museum of natural history

-Book of Mormon at 7pm (booked)

April 4-

- Walk Brooklyn bridge in morning and explore DUMBO

- Arthurs Ave for early lunch

- 1pm Accomplice (booked)

April 5-

-Flea markets in morning (have penciled in Hell's kitchen at the moment but happy to take suggestions)

- PM- A little bit random but head to Dead Horse Bay for a trash hunt

- Ice hockey at 7 (booked)

April 6-

Last day. Nothing booked at this stage. Thinking that we may come across things through the week that we want to do so leaving this day for that

April 7-

Bye Bye New York

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Never heard of Desmonds Steakhouse - is the sole reason you are eating there that you have a groupon voucher? If so, would not have thought the food is up to much as the "proper" steakhouses don't need to discount.

Perhaps you would like to try Capitale Grille or Wolfgangs or one of the BLT's

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

The nicer places are generally wasted on my Husband and he doesn't actually eat steak. He would be happy if we ate burgers or hotdogs every night. So this place was a compromise! Was a good price for the deal and I get a (hopefully) a decent steak based on some online reviews (incl a few of TA) . :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Where is Dead Horse Bay and what do you do there?

And you plan to go from Dumbo up to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx and then back for a show at 1.00pm? That's one direction to another. Probably not a good idea.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Dead horse bay... Not overly much to do except sort through trash.

The shore is covered in washed up landfill. At best we take home a few vintage glass bottles. Worse case we get some cool photos (depends on your photography style if you like the photos or not!)

In relation to the where. Not being local I've copied directions: To get to Dead Horse Bay you can take the 2 or 5 trains to the end of the line at Flatbush Avenue. Then you catch the Q35 bus going toward Rockaway. Get off the bus just before you cross the Marine Parkway Bridge and you'll see a path to the bay directly in front of you.

I wasn't sure about Bronx part as in if there will be enough time. It depends where accomplice starts which we won't know until a few days before. We can always scrap it

Edited: 25 February 2014, 11:25
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

That sounds like a very unusual place.

I would probably change the Arthur Ave trip to maybe a dinner after Accomplice. You would have more time to appreciate it. Maybe have an early lunch in Brooklyn or somewhere near the show.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Yeah that sounds much better thanks :)

staten island
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

Keep in my it can take up to 2 hours to get to Dead Horse Bay from Hell's Kitchen. Maybe leave it for Sunday when you wouldn't have to worry about getting to the game. Also, across Flatbush Ave., is Floyd Bennett Field. They often have events on weekends. www.nyharborparks.org/visit/calendar.html

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

That link provides info for someone who you can walk dead horse bay with. I'll keep a look out as it gets closer. Thanks heaps :)

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

With your options, you might include a neighborhood tour, such as Greenwich Village:

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/…

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/…

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Edited: 25 February 2014, 12:34
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to NY. 7 day itinerary

I love the idea of urban treasure hunting in Dead Horse Bay! Now you're way off the beaten path. Previous posters are correct in that it will take two hours almost to reach. You might want to combine that with Brooklyn Bridge and DUMBO, since it would be on your way. Arthur Ave is a great lunch spot. I love the sandwiches at Mike's Deli. You might want to see if you can head up to Aurthur Ave after visiting Central Park and the Natural History Museum. It might work in your itinerary on the 3rd. It can work if you get an early start in the Park and get to the museum by 10 when it opens. It takes about 45-60 minutes to get to Arthur Ave from the AMNH. And then at least an hour to get back to midtown. It might be a late lunch but it's doable. After Accomplice is a good idea too, as Aynat suggested.

There's just a few disorganized things geographically on the itinerary. For instance: the Natural History Museum is next to Central Park. Highline Park is downtown closer to Accomplice. TotR and Grand Central are only 10 minutes walk apart. Group those things together and you've got a much better itinerary. The sights and events you've picked sound awesome! A great all around NYC adventure.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy