We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Babies and Taxis

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Babies and Taxis

Travelling to NYC in a few months with a 10 month old and a 5 year old. Will we be able to ride in a cab, I'm not bringing a car seat and I am not sure if the taxi's are except.

In addition to the 2 children there there will be 3 adults, will we all be able to fit into a taxi together?

Mentioned in this post
NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Babies and Taxis

It's not a great idea to ride in a taxi with a 10 month old not in a car seat. Not really a risk worth taking. You'd be better off (and safer) taking subways everywhere. If it is a question of coming to and from the airport, you can arrange with a car service that provides baby seats.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Babies and Taxis

I agree with you but if we just had to take a short ride is it even legal?

And would we all be allowed in 1 vehicle?

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Babies and Taxis

I can't speak to the actual legality but know plenty of people who have done it without being arrested or fined, if that's of any use. So clearly there are many cab drivers that will accept baby passengers on laps whether it's legal or not. As for the number of people, again, it will be a question of what the cab driver will accept. If he lets an adult ride in front (not all do) it should be OK. Otherwise you're looking at 3 adults in the back, two with small children on their laps, again, which many cab drivers will be OK with but perhaps not all.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Babies and Taxis

It's not a question of legality - I do not believe there are any restrictions (a taxi driver may pick you up, it's just another fare to him/her) it is more of an issue of safety.

This is what previous posters and myself are trying to impress.

But to each his/her own - do what you will.

Poppa

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Babies and Taxis

Taxis are exempt from the law about children's car seats.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Babies and Taxis

From your other thread I see that you are flying in and when you asked how long it would take to get from the airport to the lower Manhattan you were told it would likely take 45 mins.

I would definitely book a car service that will guarantee a car seat.

As to taking taxis while in the city w/o a car seat. I don't think it's a good idea but if you do it make sure everyone has a seatbelt on. Taxis get in accidents.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,642 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Babies and Taxis

Last taxi accident I was in, we had not even gone one full block when he rear ended the car in front of him; a short ride or a long ride, an accident can happen within seconds. Personally, I can't imagine taking that risk with a child but, again, that is up to you.

I would definitely book a car from the airport that can fit all of you and will bring car seats as needed.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Babies and Taxis

For the issue of maximum number of passengers, here are the rules: from www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml

• How many people can fit into a yellow taxicab?

From Driver Rule 54-15(g) (in PDF):

The maximum amount of passengers allowed in a yellow taxicab by law is four (4) in a four (4) passenger taxicab or five (5) passengers in a five (5) passenger taxicab, except that an additional passenger must be accepted if such passenger is under the age of seven (7) and is held on the lap of an adult passenger seated in the rear.

So it, looks like your family would be permitted even in the regular 4 passenger taxis.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Babies and Taxis

You are legally allowed to ride in a cab without car seats for the kids within New York City. You are NOT allowed to legally do so in New Jersey.

If you're going to do this, PLEASE read up on the safest way to hold an infant in a car. Most people think you should put the baby inside the seatbelt with you, and that's a sure fire way to kill an infant in even a minor fender bender.

And there is no reason you should need to take a cab with an unrestrained 10-month-old. There are so many other transportation options, it's not necessary.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
10. Re: Babies and Taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:19