We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Will be staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Long Island City/Manhattan View and would like to know how to go from there to New York City on public transit. Plan on walking around NYC and would like a good starting place and loop to do an solid 8 hour day of walking and general sight-seeing. Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

"Long Island" and "Long Island City" are two totally different places. Your thread title is likely to cause some confusion. Your hotel is "in" New York City.

Your hotel's web page has a map and transportation section which includes a link to Hopstop pre-populated with the hotel address. You may want to hae a look there.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Note that you are staying in Long Island CITY, not Long Island. They're different.

That hotel is not in the most convenient area of LIC. If you read reviews, you'll see people talking about taking their shuttle to the subway.

If your hotel is cancelable, provide info (exact dates, budget, number of people, etc) and ask for help finding a better choice in LIC. There are plenty of options within an easy walk of the subway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

There are 2 different Fairfeild Inns in Long Island City. The one on 40th Rd. called Queenboro Bridge is walking distance to the subway. The other one is not. Once in Manhattan, where to walk and what to see depends on your interests and whether you want to go inside anywhere and do more than just walk. More info from you on who's involved, interests etc would be helpful.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 19:46
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Even though Queens and Brooklyn are on Long Island, that term is now reserved for areas east of New York City. The Long Island Historical Society in Brooklyn and Long Island City in Queens reflect older usages.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Thanks for the info.

The address of the hotel is 52-34 Van Dam Street, Long Island City, NY 11101.

Can you tell me how to get to a good place in NYC to begin a walking tour?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I am a little overwhelmed and you are all very patient. I will check for a hotel closer to the subway. If we do end up staying at the Fairfield that's at 52-34 Van Dam Street, Long Island City, NY 11101..can you tell me how to get to NYC by subway?

The walking tour could consist of just about anything. Interesting neighbourhoods..not really interested in going inside eg paying tuition as we want to see a lot and want to keep moving. 2parents and 2older teens looking to see what NYC is all about. Not really interested in museums or art galleries. Would rather walk and see some interesting places. Also would like to avoid more sketchy areas. Thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Your hotel is a twenty minute walk from the subway. Hopefully they offer a shuttle to a train station? Otherwise, this isn't going to be a very pleasant holiday for you, unfortunately.

What do you want to see on yoru walking tour? You cannot see all of the sights while walking, they're just too spread out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Yes, there is a shuttle to the subway.

We will be there for 3 days. But not really interested in doing a scheduled tour. We live on a Rural property in Ont., Canada and would love to spend 3 days walking around in a big city. We don't really care if we see everything or anything in particular but we'd like to have some interesting areas pointed out to us so that we can see as much as we can while we're there. EG. if we started out at Central park and walked around for 6-8 hours (with rest stops and lunch break in there) to end up back at central park, what could we see?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

Here is some information on self-guided walking tours

Downtown Manhattan:

http://www.downtownny.com/walkingtours

tripadvisor.com/…15706625

The SoHo and TriBeCa neighborhoods of lower Manhattan:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/fodors/top/features/travel/destinations/unitedstates/newyork/newyorkcity/fdrs_feat_111_6.html?n=Top%2FFeatures%2FTravel%2FDestinations%2FUnited+States%2FNew+York%2FNew+York+City

Central Park:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/tours/

Greenwich Village:

gpsmycity.com/apps/greenwich-village-music-t…

…blogspot.com/2012/03/walking-tour-of-greenw…

Brooklyn (Prospect Park South, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO):

…about.com/od/Tours-of-Brooklyn/a/Tours-Of-B…

Brooklyn (Williamsburg neighborhood):

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60827-i80574-Brooklyn…

Here’s a selection of self-guided walking tours (look for “QUICK LINKS” on the bottom right corner of the page, and the pull-down entry for “Walking Tours.”

nyc.com/visitor_guide/…editorial_review.aspx

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transit from Long Island Hotel to New York City

We're planning a trip for the end of May and will probably take in a couple of Free Tours By Foot based on info I've seen here on the forum. They have a couple of six hour tours that you may be interested in. They're a combination of walking and use of subway with a tour guide, so an added benefit of these tours would seem to be that you learn to navigate the subway system.

Here are some links that will give you more info:

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/…

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/…

I found this recent thread on TA gave some helpful advice about tipping your walking tour guide:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7192756-…

This is a link to some of the reviews:

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60763-d172…

I hope this helps!