We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Restarting this old thread....that magically disappeared. I think this may help a lot of first timers on what to expect..

What was your first impression when you came to NYC. How different was it from what you had expected ?

Cheers

41. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:34
Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Well I just have to ad more, seeing there is an opportunity.

Why is it that I came home from my 12 night trip on 22nd Nov 2013 and I still read the forum daily.

Oh yes I have tried to give up, but I cant I just have to read the questions and answers and look for trip reports because New York has taken a big part of my heart. It is an amazing city with the friendliest and most helpful people with a fantastic subway that is so easy to use.There is just so much to see and do and not enough hours in the day and when I read everybody else's trip reports I realise there is so much I missed .

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Ok given i can ill post again lol

I loved i had two marriage proposals in two different shops from sales advisors and may i add the most friendliest, kindest, awesome sales advisors ever .

This is two more than I've ever had and this was due to the fact in nyc i felt so liberated and comfortable for the first time ever in my own skin, i was able to relax and be happy. I danced and laughed in the stores with the staff something i would never do back home although often wanted to haha

in nyc its just so easy to be yourself as there is so many people from every walk of life being themselves too.

I walked into stores and felt overwhelmingly happy. Not because i could shop or the merchandise on show but because EVERYONE Was so truly wonderful, fun, happy, warm, welcoming, friendly beautiful people.

I can't wait 5 months and ill be back, being me dancing and all lol xxx

Ps idrinkwater thank you so much for your messages, sorry mine are coming through blank. Rather odd. Anyway I've looked into,the links and they sound fab. Thank you soooo much., its really appreciated. You are a star xx

Edited: 28 March 2014, 12:56
Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

My first impression of NYC was that the city had an energy I had never experienced in any other city, and I lived in Toronto, which is a big city. It felt so alive and energized all the time, and everywhere we went. Yes, it was big, and noisy...but the energy was what first struck me. Every time I return I am reminded of that first time. The energy is still there.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Pamela B, I do that too! LOL!

46. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:36
47. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Removed on: 27 July 2016, 22:16
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

I guess we noticed that people dressed up more in New York more than we were expecting.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,387 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Arrived winter of '96 - first impression? Love hate.

My NYC friends who were on vacation couldn't make it back to show me around. It forced me to explore, and when the weather got seriously bad, food was my best companion. And what? Clear the snow/ice off the steps myself? Lol. First love, Greenwich Village, bagels, pizza, locals, and friends' uni friends who came by to check that the 'Arzie' hadn't starved to death.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

I remember seeing the Manhattan skyline for the first time, coming in on a taxi from JFK. The feeling was overwhelming- something made me just want to take the whole city and stuff it into my heart, all the better to keep it safe. Even now, coming back to NYC feels a bit like coming home, and I get weepy every time I have to leave.