We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Restarting this old thread....that magically disappeared. I think this may help a lot of first timers on what to expect..

What was your first impression when you came to NYC. How different was it from what you had expected ?

Cheers

226 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

I felt like I was home.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Dirty with lots of peep shows.

That was many years ago and now the Times Square area has changed so much. Disneyesque, in fact.

But I loved it then and I love it now. Like the previous poster, I felt like I am home. When I can, I hope to move there.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 16:59
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

My first sight of NYC (after arriving via Newark years ago) was Times Square and I got tears in my eyes at how horrified I was at how awful it was (since my dream was to move here) - but then after a quick jaunt on the subway, I popped out in the village on 7th Avenue and I knew I was home; moved a year later from L.A. to an apartment on 9th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues - nice entry to living here.

Still detest Times Square - I still have that same exact reaction pretty much every time I have to pass through it - thankfully, it is easy to avoid.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

I started crying really loudly, but my mother nursed me and my father looked down towards me and I calmed down. The hospital was right across the street from Prospect Park, so we had a nice view out the window.

A girl I later met in college was right down the hall but we didn't meet again for another 19 years when we met in college. I thought she looked familiar (haha), and my mother actually did remember a girl being the only other child born that night.

Luckily, my great uncle had a Studebaker to drive us home a few days later.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 17:37
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,599 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Let me get into my wayback machine. I was just out of high school & I went with a friend. We had lots of fun as the only big city I had been to before then was Detroit but that was my mom's hometown so it didn't feel so much like an event. I remember loving the energy of the place. Even then I did more theater than most. I saw Ethel Merman in Hello Dolly (yes, it was that long ago) & the Boyfriend was a bit of a bust as both Judy Carne (who was then in Laugh In) & Sandy Duncan were out that evening but we stayed anyway & enjoyed ourselves & went to the Village for the Fantastics (alas, not the original cast.) Anyway, I said what I still say today - that the place is far too high energy for me to live in but visiting is fabulous.

66. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 19:50

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Its been a while...so bumping it up.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

My first impression was actually really bad, which depressed me to no end. I had wanted to go for as long as I could remember, but walking around Midtown after a long flight and feeling like it was 11pm, but actually it was only 5pm... well, that was rough.

All the stores had the music volume on max so that it felt like being yelled at the minute I stepped through the doors. The people in the street lived up to the stereotype; they really WERE super busy, super stressed and always heading somewhere very important. And the sound of the honking cars was awful.

But then I slept, and ate, and recovered. And, since I knew right away that Midtown wasn't for me, I started exploring other parts of the city. And that's how I fell in love with MY New York, and not with the fantasy I had envisioned after watching too much TV.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

Considering that the population of Norway is half that of NYC, you had it easy :^))

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.

I always joke with my Norwegian friends that midtown has probably more people during the day than Oslo or Maybe Norway :)

Midtown is not for everyone, but it is amazing that NYC has a neighborhood for everyone :) !!!!

Edited: 27 August 2014, 21:47
Reply to: What was your first impression of NYC when you came.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted