We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

My husband and our daughter are going to New York in May and we are looking for a 2-3 star hotel, not too fancy, but nice and clean.

However, the key thing is that they would really like it to be close to a typical all-american breakfast diner with pancakes, bagels, americano coffee (not cappucinos and such) for just your regular morning fare. This is not something that is easy to find on search engines :)

If that is too much to ask in these days of Starbucks and MacDonalds, maybe a suggestion of an area where there are many options for a quick meal for mornings - they really want a hotel that is near many such oppurtunites.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

I wouldn't stay in a 2 star hotel in NYC.

There are breakfast places all over--they're very easy to find.

One site that I like is www.menupages.com; you can search by location, meal, cuisine, price--and read menus & reviews.

Posters can be more helpful if you include their exact travel dates and nightly budget is US$.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Hotel Edison on 47th ands 7th - Cafe Edison just off the lobby - typical American coffee shop/diner.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Second the Edison. That's a great diner. It would be convenient to any hotel in Times Square as well. Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn are very well-liked basic hotels on 8th Ave near the Edison.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

There are a number of hotels that would meet your criteria. For most people, budget is a factor, and hotel prices fluctuate.

You may get additional suggestions if you provide your exact dates (not approximate ones) and your max budget per night. It's fine to give a range with preferred price and absolute maximum. Note that tax will add 15%, and that rooms with two beds are generally more expensive than sharing one bed.

If your budget is low, would they be okay in a room with a shared bathroom? Which airport are they using?

Menupages.com is convenient for identifying restaurant options, though forum members can still keep that in mind for hotel recs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Hey Kamilla W:-) An area you may want to check out for hotels is the UWS.. family friendly residential area with loads of options for diners, breakfast places that cater to the locals;-) You also have the advantage of being close to both Central and Riverside Parks (if that's of interest;-) Lots of transport options, yet still close enough to walk to midtown area as well! Best.. and EnJOY!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Thanks for the great pointers. They will be travelling late May (Wed 28/5 - Sun 1/6) and we are prepared to pay up to around 180$ or so. We will be going for a double room - but it needs to have a bathroom included.

UWS (I assume it is Upper West Side) sounds like it might fit the bill very well. I will also check the specific hotels recommended.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 17:13
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Hotel Newton looks like it might fit the bill on the UWS?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

.. for what you're looking for, it would certainly work;-) The Newton has about half a dozen diner type places within 5 blocks of it's locale on 95th and Broadway.. and one right downstairs;-) You also have the subway stop right at your doorstep.. as well as buses! A great local neighborhood that IMO fits the bill;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

Your budget is low for that time period. The Newton is a good location, but it is over budget.

Keep in mind that "double" doesn't necessary mean two beds in U.S. terminology. It can be a room for two with one double-sized bed (also known as a "full" sized bed). The double at the Newton for $175 does not have a private bath and has only one bed.

The Newton does have two-bedded rooms with private bath. They will be a bit over budget $234 (+ ~15% tax)

If you need two beds and a private bath, that will probably mean staying outside of Manhattan. Long Island City in Queens is a popular option if you are flying into JFK, but even most of those properties are over budget. You could stay at the Verve for $205 + tax with free cancellation and free breakfast. That rate is on Booking.com. I haven't checked their own website.

Can you increase your budget? Which airport will they be using? The Verve works for JFK, but would be inconvenient if they are flying into Newark. For the slight difference in price, I'd go for the Newton and be right in Manhattan.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonably priced hotel near breakfast diner

OK, this is in GBP, but it it with Expedia, I got the exact same deal and it does include taxes, I believe there is Tick Tock Diner right next to the hotel which is 24 hours. PPS, for this price you need to search your dates then enter code HAPPYTRAVEL10

It has free cancellation to so could be a good deal, but the code works for other hotels so perhaps give Expedia a try.

1 Room: Metro Room - 1 Queen Bed

4 Nights: 28/May/2014 - 1/Jun/2014

Stay 3 Nights and Save 21% on Your Stay!

Room 1: 2 Adults

4 Nights £487.44

Wed 28 May £119.46

Thu 29 May £119.46

Fri 30 May £119.46

Sat 31 May £129.06

Taxes

What are Taxes & Service Fees?

The taxes are tax recovery charges Expedia pays to its vendors (e.g. hotels); for details, please see our Terms of Use. We retain our service fees and compensation in servicing your travel reservation.

£73.10

Subtotal:£560.54

Voucher:-£48.76

Trip Total: £511.78