We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer lingus or virgin?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Aer lingus or virgin?

Hi we're flying from Manchester to JFK on 9th Dec-14th Dec.

Virgin flies from Man-London-JFK

Man 11.50am-5pm JFK

£1137 2 people

Aer lingus flies Man-Dublin-JFK

Man 6.20am-1.15pm ish JFK

Slightly cheaper price

Return flights similar times coming home- total flight times pretty similar.

Do you have a preferred airline?

Obviously aer lingus arrives into JFK earlier- would it be better to arrive in the city after 1 or after 5? I'm thinking we won't plan much on the day of arrival due to jet lag.

Thank you!

gs4
Cork
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Aer lingus or virgin?

I was faced with a similar but opposite decision recently, Virgin was cheaper Cork to JFK via London but landed later. Aer lingus was dearer but customs clearance in Dublin along with earlier landing is a handy option. I ended up booking Cork-London-JFK but flying the evening before to get the early flight from London next morning. Now I get the best of both worlds, earlier in to NYC even with customs and cheaper flight even after a night in LHR, with I am assuming better service from Virgin (although I can't confirm that yet)

Might be an idea to check flying to London or Dublin the evening before to get the first flight out. I always think if you're paying a couple of hundred $ for a hotel in NYC you should try and get there as early as possible and include the first day as an actual holiday day (even if it's more relaxed or you hit the hay early that night)

G

gs4
Cork
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Aer lingus or virgin?

I was faced with a similar but opposite decision recently, Virgin was cheaper Cork to JFK via London but landed later. Aer lingus was dearer but customs clearance in Dublin along with earlier landing is a handy option. I ended up booking Cork-London-JFK but flying the evening before to get the early flight from London next morning. Now I get the best of both worlds, earlier in to NYC even with customs and cheaper flight even after a night in LHR, with I am assuming better service from Virgin (although I can't confirm that yet)

Might be an idea to check flying to London or Dublin the evening before to get the first flight out. I always think if you're paying a couple of hundred $ for a hotel in NYC you should try and get there as early as possible and include the first day as an actual holiday day (even if it's more relaxed or you hit the hay early that night)

G

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Aer lingus or virgin?

Thank you for all your help with this- mixed reviews for both airlines I think!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Aer lingus or virgin?

I prefer to fly out a bit later in the day, not at around 6AM, meaning you are up most of the night and even more tired when you arrive .....

Arriving late afternoon works perfect for me, have a stroll though town and catch an early night

15. Re: Aer lingus or virgin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:17