We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping from a UK perspective

Leeds/UK
Level Contributor
354 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tipping from a UK perspective

hi, i could post this on any American forum but the new york one seems to be the most active so i will try here first!

after reading alot of posts and travel books about tips, and who to tip, when to tip and how much to tip. my big question is ... do people get paid such a small amount in the USA?

im not having a go or want to start an arguement, im genually interested.

when im in the UK i have never tipped anyone in a hotel or taxi drivers or anyone else for that matter. it is generally not done in England, (i do sometimes tell them they can keep the change if its not much) it was always my belief that they are doing a job and they are getting paid by their employers to do that job.

when i was in Turkey i was on a private yacht with a crew, as we were being assisted with every day things, ie being served drinks, food, etc etc we would say thank you as most people would do, one day the captain told us not to say thank you as it is their job and that is what is expected of them.

it might make me sound harsh and tight with my money (which im not, carefull is probably a better word) but if it was up to me i would quite happily tip people if i think the job/service they have done is above and beyond what is expected of them and i want to reward them for that, i dont like how it is expected.

this might get deleted, but as i said im genually interested in peoples comments/opinions.

thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
21. Re: tipping from a UK perspective

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2016, 04:05