We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom fit jeans?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Custom fit jeans?

When I last visited NYC back in 1998 a friend of mine who lived there at the time told me I could go to the Levi's store and get jeans custom tailored to fit me. I never made it there, but now I'm going back with my teenager and she loves the idea of getting jeans custom made to fit her. I know that may sound strange, but we're both short and she is very, very thin and has a hard time finding jeans that fit her other than little girl jeans that she doesn't like anymore. I know we can get jeans altered too, but they just never seem to look the same once altered.

Do any locals know if the Levi's store still does this? Or any other stores that do this? I know we would probably have to have them shipped home to us and that's okay.

Thanks -

Mentioned in this post
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,387 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custom fit jeans?

Here is a note from the Levi's store in the meatpacking district with a phone number and e-mail address

dear all!....sorry for the lack of updates, that will change!

:)

alot of people are asking how to get an appointment for some Made to Order jeans....please email me directly mgooding@levi.com or call 2123672110, you can always drop in, we now have 4 tailors, all of which can do a fitting on spot.

see you soon!

martin

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custom fit jeans?

A little googling says it costs around $450-750 for a pair of custom jeans. That sounds high but there are other ready made premium brands that charge that much, so a full custom sounds kind of neat.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custom fit jeans?

Thanks so much, cyblume - glad to hear Levi's still does this!

Scott - ouch! That's way more than I'm willing to pay for a teenager's jeans that will be outgrown within a year, so I'd better call and ask before making an appointment and getting her hopes up. My friend told me back in 1998 that the cost wasn't much more than a regular pair of Levi's, but it makes sense that there would be a large premium for custom.

Thanks for the help -

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Custom fit jeans?

It actually costs more than that. 2 pricing pts: 750 & 950.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Custom fit jeans?

And there's Kim Kardashian who has her "Butt Man" a special tailor on call daily to fit her jeans. I suggest you go to the 8th floor of Barney's on Madison Ave. They have every shape and form of jeans as tight as sausage casings. Hopefully your daughter can find something that fits for size. Length can be easily adjusted by any decent Dry Cleaner in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Barney's
Barney's
103 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Custom fit jeans?

I'm a big fan of Diesel, their flagship store on 5th Ave at 55th has one and a half floors of women's stuff. It tends to cater towards the thin look, will cost more than Levi's, but not as much as quoted for the customs.

As well as Barney's, the denim departments of Saks and Bloomingdales would also have a large variety of brands at different price points that would be a bit more special.

Mentioned in this post
Barney's
Barney's
103 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bloomingdale's
Bloomingdale's
761 Reviews
New York City, NY
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Custom fit jeans?

Thanks for those suggestions - I'll defnitely check out those stores. I'm sure she can find super skinny jeans in those stores, but the length may be a problem. Are there really alterations people in dry cleaners? I haven't had much luck with alterations in the past, but maybe I need to look for a better one. It would certainly be cheaper than custom jeans apparently!

WEQueen - heh, I'd heard that about Kim Kardashian. Don't think we're quite ready to go to those lengths for good-looking jeans. ;)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Custom fit jeans?

Shortening of pants are very easily done in NYC. Lots of dry cleaners around and most do it. If you are a fanatic about your jeans, you can request "original hem" and they can do that.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Custom fit jeans?

Stanton Tailor on the LES can do it with a same day or next day turnaround(shorten and reattach the original hem-really the only way that it looks good IMO). There are also several places in that area that do the same much cheaper than Manhattan cleaners.

I have used Stanton for alterations for many years.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
739 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Custom fit jeans?

This may not be relevant any more since it was about 10 year ago. I am a 6'1" woman and no pants ever were long enough. Then I found the Levis custom fit jeans. They were not really custom - they had three or so basic cuts and you could try on the samples and order the waist and length you wanted. They were about $60 a pair. Problem was they were manufactured overseas (probably in some horrible sweatshop) where there was no quality control whatsever. I tried three times giving them the same measurements (they even measured me in the store to confirm) - one was way too short, one the waistline was way higher than the sample pair and looked awkward, and one that was supposed to be a straight cut came out like baggy carpenter pants. Had to return them all. Then I heard they discontinued the program.