We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

Hi! My 14 year old and I will be in NYC later this month (3/14 thru 3/16) and are planning a last-minute getaway. We've never been to New York before and could REALLY use some assistance or suggestions in planning an itinerary. I have to admit up front that the idea of traveling to New York terrifies me just a little... not the city itself but the fact that I don't have a great sense of direction and my husband won't be with us to navigate!

We have a few "must do's" we'd like to work in:

1-2 Musicals (The Lion King and Catch Me if you Can are the first choices!)

Statue of Liberty

Tea at the Plaza!

A museum or 2 (possibly the MOMA)

We'd like to get to Canal Street, Central Park etc.

So, would any kind Trip Advisorer (?) be willing to provide some suggestions as to where this newbie tourist should start? We are doing this sort of last-minute and need to get a hotel still also... Thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

-SOL....you need to reserve asap via:

www.statuecruises.com/choose_tickets.aspx

-Hotel....the hotel gurus need your budget/night to advise.

-Also..someone will advise on buying Bway tickets.

To add...one of the best things to do in NYC is to just wander. Don't worry about getting lost and having to ask someone for directions.

Get familiar with the subway(link on the right) and map below. It's the best way to get around the city:

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

TravelZoo is having a special on Marriott Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park. This is a newly opened hotel and the tallest in North America. Great location for a first time visitor. You could get a king room for $179 (+ tax). Includes WiFi, and the rate is cancelable up until one day before.

You may have to sign up with TravelZoo (free) to see the special: travelzoo.com/hotels/…

(Sometimes travel zoo discount codes can be entered independently on the hotel's website, but this deal doesn't seem to work that way, so worth signing up)

There are a variety of other very good hotel prices for your dates. What is your target budget per night? (keep in mind that tax will add ~15%). Can you and your daughter share a bed? If so, what's the smallest bed you will share? King? Queen? Double?

Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

Broadway Show: The Lion King

Museum: Frick Collection Upper East Side

Fashion Institute of Technology: Chelsea. It's free!

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge (take subway to Brooklyn and walk back)

Walk The High Line to the Chelsea Market. Have lunch.

Walk around Greenwich Village/Washington Park/NYU

9/11 Memorial. It's free but you need tickets.

Dinner at Ellen's Stardust (food is ok but the waiters/waitresses are singers!)

Stop at every cupcake joint and get a cupcake (or cookies)!!!! OMG!!!! Yummo!

Times Square: at night!

I took my "just turned sweet 16 year old" niece last February and these were here favorites!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

Not to put down Lion King but Matilda is also on Broadway and is outstanding. You won't go wrong with either but if your daughter knows the book then she'll love the show (mine did, as did my wife and I)

Edited: 05 March 2014, 20:32
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

I believe Catch Me If You Can has closed. You should buy Lion King tickets ASAP. It's never discounted; you'll need to pay full price:

http://www.lionking.com/

You can see what shows are discounted by looking at Broadway Box:

http://www.broadwaybox.com/

It looks like The Cripple of Inishman with Daniel Radcliffe is on discount, if that would be of interest.

I would suggest doing a late tea at the Plaza in lieu of dinner before one of your shows. You should make a reservation ASAP - they actually only have late availability left on Friday 3/14, none on Saturday 3/15. Look up The Palm Court at the Plaza on OpenTable:

www.opentable.com/new-york-city-restaurants

Do you just want to see the Statue of Liberty, or do you want to go into it? If you want to go to Liberty Island, you'll need to take a Statue Cruise. Probably crown access tickets are gone already, but you might still be able to get pedestal access:

http://www.statuecruises.com/

Statue Cruises is also the only way to visit Ellis Island, if you're interested in that.

Otherwise you can cruise past the SoL on a Circle Line tour:

circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/home.aspx

http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/

Or, if it's enough for you, the free Staten Island Ferry will take you past the SoL from a distance:

http://siferry.com/

Or you can stand in Battery Park and see the SoL from a distance as well.

Many of the museums - the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met), the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), and more - are on or near Central Park, so you can easily combine a museum visit with a park visit.

Please do not shop on Canal Street - all it is is counterfeit goods, and the proceeds of these illegal sales enrich very unsavory people/groups.

You daughter would probably en interested in doing some shopping in SOHo, however - start along Broadway and fan out onto the side streets.

Enjoy your weekend!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

Here is an article on Broadway from the TA experts. Your choices of Broadway are, alas, unrealistic. One is closed & the other sold out.

Click on the link for Playbill & check out their theater listings.

Your daughter might like Newsies as it stars a bunch of cute boys that are allegedly about her age (most are older in real life) & you might like it as it is based on history. If you want something fun, try Cinderella with Fran Dresher as the wicked stepmother & Carly Rae Jepsen in the title roll. Both should have available tickets.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 20:50
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

I looked at the Lion King website and it does appear to still have tickets available for the weekend for March 14th-16th...

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

To the original poster - book now!

9. Re: Last Minute Mother-Daughter Trip with my 14 year old!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:27