We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York city bar laws

Save Topic
New York city bar laws

I am visiting New york city with family...can a 18 year old blind child sit at the bar so, he is not unattend?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York city bar laws

No

He wont be allowed in at all until the bar in question also serves food

Save Reply
2. Re: New York city bar laws

I was told by the hotel he is allowed cause of his disability but I need more then one person from new york city to confirm that

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York city bar laws

which hotel?

which bar?

Ter has also replied on your duplicate post

Stamford...
Level Contributor
803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York city bar laws

Blind or not, a minor may usually sit in a bar that serves food if he or she is with parents, but they generally prefer you sit at a table rather than the bar.

As to needing someone from New York to confirm it, nothing anyone says here will override the bar's own rules. It's up to them if they let minors in, but most that serve food do. There are so very many places to get a drink, you won't have trouble finding one.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York city bar laws

Agree. You don't have to go to a traditional bar to have a drink. There are many restaurants that you an get a table and a drink.

Agree with the above. The bar can/will deny entrance to anyone under 21 in the majority of cases.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York city bar laws

Foreign visitors generally don't understand our distinction in types of bars. Places like Irish pubs and hotel bars all generally have food menus, and so children - including my little daughter - are welcome at tables in the eating area, although they are not permitted to sit up at the bar. People under 21 are prohibited at nightclub-type bars, and also individual businesses may choose to ban them in the evenings when they are busy, by posting guards at the door to check IDs. Disability has nothing to do with it.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York city bar laws

A pub - an establishment that serves drinks but has a kitchen - generally would allow this. A bar - a place without food service and without a kitchen - may not admit infants / toddlers / 18 year olds with disabilities in the presence of parents - no. Negative. Not allowed.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New York city bar laws

And just a terminology/human rights point: an 18-year-old is an adult, not a child. And being blind doesn't make an adult a child.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York city bar laws

**A bar - a place without food service and without a kitchen - may not admit infants / toddlers / 18 year olds with disabilities in the presence of parents - no. Negative. Not allowed.**

^^

Not necessarily true.

It depends on the bar...though that is the general rule of thumb.

There are MANY neighborhood(granted, most are in the outer boroughs) straight up bars where I see strollers/kids/etc with parents.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,608 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New York city bar laws

Bars are always allowed to admit anyone. What they are not allowed to do is serve folks who are underage. Many bars accomplish this by carding folks at the door, rather than risk the bartender accidentally serving the 19-year-old out with parents. But that's not a law.