We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ellen's Stardust Diner

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Topic
Ellen's Stardust Diner

Anyone been there recently as thinking of going there for dinner prior to a Broadway show ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

Its not really a dinner place

The food is not up to much really

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

It is a 'tourist trap' singing waitstaff who solicit (badger customers) for tips - food is overpriced as most venues in Times Square and mediocre tasting at best.

I would avoid the place - lots of other choices out of TS -try 46th Street or 9th Avenue for some decent food/

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

It really is awful.

There are some great places on 9th Ave, as Poppa said. If you post your budget & the type of food you like (or want to avoid), you'll get some recommendations.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

I've never been, but would like to someday, just to experience it.

From what I have heard and read in the past, I wouldn't think of it as the "meal" part of your evening but rather the "show" part of the evening.

As with all shows, some get better reviews than others. This "show" gets very mixed reviews.

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

I think this place is a novelty . You def don't go "for the food" and if you do eat here stick with the basics... Sandwich, burger etc.

If you are have kids with you they usually love it... ESP if they are into musical theater. I've taken kids who are aspiring signers/dancers and they loved the kitchy-ness of it. There are some pretty talented waitstaff and they sing fun songs the kids can sing along to.

So that said while I wouldn't go there if my objective was a great meal I do think its cool to experience once so I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it.

Oh... In my experience I've never felt "badgered" for tips.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 15:40
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

Food quality aside, they don't take reservations and you could have a wait. I would want more precise timing for a pre-theater dinner.

CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

It wasn't my choice but my grandkids wanted to go and they loved it. We went for dessert. Go somewhere else for dinner.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 16:28
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

You really only go if you LOVE showtunes. The food is an afterthought, you are there to be sung at by the waitstaff. If you someone that loves Broadway music and talented people singing it in an unexpected setting, you'll love it. If you're like me and dislike Broadway music and love good, unpretentious diner food, you'll hate it.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Edited: 06 March 2014, 17:12
Huddersfield England
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

We went last Dec and the food was ok.Yes they came round with a bucket but you were under no pressure to put anything in,in fact about half the tables around us did not bother but they could of already done so.It was fun fun my wife and daughter loved it.Dont be put off if you fancy dolng it by the anti tourist brigade on here

new york
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

I go once a year when we do a "girls" trip. The teens are very much into music and always enjoy it. We usually go for lunch. Last December on one of the busiest days of the year we had about a 30 minute wait. Another year we waited about 5 minutes.

The food is overpriced and definitely not gourmet but we always have a good time. Yes, they pass around a bucket for tips - you can throw a dollar in there or you can politely decline. Not a big deal.