We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
*NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

Hey everyone,

I will be going to new york in 7 days and I have not booked my flight ticket or hotel. I've checked out some quotes for flights (I'm coming from Toronto) and it ranges from $400 to $450 (YYZ to JFK). I've also considered landing in LGA or Newark since it seems to be cheaper. But I am meeting a family member at the JFK airport on the day of my arrival, so if I do book a flight landing in LGA or Newark, I will need to find transportation to get to JFK. What is the cheapest way I can get from those airports to JFK?

Any recommendations on hotels and flights that accept last minute booking that delivers is the best deal possible? I have a mind set on hotels near times square just so that it's easier to get around but I'm open to near by locations as well.

If you have any tips or recommendations for a first-timer on how to get around, where to go, essential things to bring, maps/navigation or anything please let me know!

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, have a great day!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

-Why the need to meet your family member at JFK? Why not just head to where you are staying?

-You will need to provide your budget in USD and exact dates for hotel options.

**If you have any tips or recommendations for a first-timer **

-Next time, book in advance....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

Thanks for replying ter1413!

-My family member is flying in from china so there may be a language barrier when he arrives. I just want to make sure that we are able to find each other and meet because we won't be able to call each other.

-I'm looking for maybe under 200 a night if possible? And for hotel.. I'm looking for either march 14 or march 15. See, my problem is that I don't have the specific dates. On the day he aboards, is literally the day I will find out what time he will be arriving at JFK. Then at that point, I will need to book my flight at a relatively close time to his arrival time. And I will be booking my hotel on the same day of the night I'm staying, so it's super last minute.

Will I be charged an arm and a leg because it's so last minute? I really hope I wont.. Trying to stay on budget for my entire travel duration in New York.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

Will the cost of going from one airport to the other, then back into Manhattan negate the benefit of the cheaper ticket??? And the time factor??? I'd go to JFK....hopefully you can book a flight that arrives at the same time as that of your family member.

Must sees and must dos on the FAQ list on the right hand side of the forum ...on computer or tablet...not on a phone. Then use google maps to group things....or get a guide book...pronto...it's hard to suggest what you should/could do as you don't say how long you are staying or what your interests are....

Here's an idea of groupings posted on another 'first timers' post earlier this week...

- Promenades at Brooklyn Bridge and DUMBO / Brooklyn Bridge / Chinatown /

- Grand Central Terminal / Bryant Park / 5th Avenue / Rockefeller Center / Top of the Rock

- Times Square / Broadway at night

- Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island/ Wall Street & Charging Bull / Federal Reserve Bank of NY / 9-11 Memorial

- The High Line / Chelsea Market

- visit a neighborhood another day...eg Lower East side, Greenwich village, the Upper West side

- Central Park / Museum (of choice) / Columbus Circle / Lincoln Center

- Flatiron Building / Madison Square Park / Herald Square / Empire State Building

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

Oh, was typing as you posted...are you only there one day and night?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

**maps/navigation or anything please let me know!**

Hopstop.com for getting directions via the subway..which is the best way to get around. A map is below:

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

**Oh, was typing as you posted...are you only there one day and night?**

I just saw that also....

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

How does one not know until the last minute when one will be flying from China? Does he work for the airline and going space available? Does this mean you will also have to buy a last-minute, full fare ticket? Are you then taking him back to Toronto with you?

If he can fly from China I think he'd be ok doing whatever he has to do on his own...the FA's and whatever staff will meet the flight will speak Chinese and will be able to direct him.

(hope this doesn't sound harsh, but honestly most of us have landed in a country where we couldn't speak a word and survived. Unless he is old and confused, which you really didn't say. Hope it works out for you.)

Edited: 06 March 2014, 20:43
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

There's www.lastminutetravel.com but I don't know how cheap it is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,749 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

I'm confused - but, does your relative have a hotel here already booked or is the one you are booking at the last minute for the two of you?

Obviously, if he does have a hotel you can just meet him there instead of the airport; he can get an official taxi that has a flat rate and meet you there but if that is not the case, you could perhaps meet around the baggage claim for his flight.

This is just for ONE night?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: *NEED HELP!* First timer going to NYC

Just book your flight to JFK if that is the arrangement you made with your relative.

Late date booking is not to conducive to "deals" - I regularly stay at the Hotel at Times Square 46th and 5th Avenue. Check their rates and be prepared to pay whatever they or other hotels charge - you did yourself no favors by waiting so long to plan this 'adventure;.

Poppa