We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Fly or Train to Washington DC?

We are spending 3 nights in NYC then want to get to Washington DC for one night, will then be flying to Orlando for a cruise. I'm guessing that it would be quicker to get the train from NYC to DC because of all the airport waiting but can someone confirm this for me? We really only need to spend one full day in DC to see what we want to. Ideally it would be 2-3 nights but this is all we can squeeze in because of the cruise date that we are bound by and work commitments back home means we can't leave earlier (and money too!)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Train all the way. It is cheaper , comfortable and quicker.

You wont have to deal with hassle of going to Airport...dealing with airport security etc. Train will take you directly to downtown DC. You will start exploring DC ..once you land in DC.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Also the earlier you book your train tickets the cheaper the cost is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
458 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Train all the way, especially if you have luggage. Without luggage I'd say it's a tossup.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Train. Flying is such a PITA - I used to work for a co based outside of DC - and went down for the day all the time. Always took the train.

If you're not staying near Union Station, the metro is excellent - or the DC Circulator Bus (upstairs in Union Station) is useful depending where you're going.

I highly recommend Donovan House or one of the other Kimptons if you haven't booked a hotel yet in DC. Especially in the summer (gorgeous rooftop pool!)

suitcaseready.com

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Thank you, train it is!!

I haven't booked any accom in either NYC or DC yet so thank you for the hotel advice.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

FYI i'm travelling in September will be arriving on the 12th

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

Buy your train ticket online ASAP. Note that you will need to choose your specific train when you make the reservation. Print out your ticket and bring it with you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

DC hotel prices are a lot better than ours. Good luck planning!

9. Re: Fly or Train to Washington DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:23