We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

Croswell, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

We are driving to Newport RI next week for my son-in-laws graduation from Naval Officers School. We want to head to Boston for a bit on Friday after the ceremony and possibly New York City on Saturday on the way home to Michigan. Seems a shame to not take advantage of the opportunity since we would be so close. None of us have ever been there and while I know there are MANY, MANY things to see and do the main interest would be Ground Zero. Is there any way to do this in a few hours that would not be a complete nightmare. As I said we have never been to NYC. Any help would be appreciated!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

i drive from the central part of NYS to NYC several times a year & it's a 5 hour drive. Are you sure you have enough time? NYC is large & you may regret that you didn't spend more time in the city.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,455 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

I would choose New York OR Boston and spend a night. You won't do either city justice with your plan.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

To answer your question directly: no. It's not really possible to quickly get to the 9/11 site and back. Plan a separate trip to NYC. Consider the distance and hours driving. Or add a day onto your trip and still that will feel rushed.

Newport is not that far from Boston. You could go up and spend Friday night and part of Saturday in Boston and leave for Michigan form there.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

I don't think you really appreciate the difficulty of driving into New York City and the hindrance that a car presents. Parking is near impossible and when it is found, it is exorbitant - like $40. - $50. to park your car. And then there is the issue of not leaving any luggage or valuables in the car. New York City is a safe city but a car with out of state tags and the clear sign of being mid-road trip just screams opportunity for a thief / would-be thief / potential thief.

You should fly from Michigan to Providence and rent a car for Newport.

Then you take the train from Rhode Island down to New York Penn and you stay in a centrally located hotel.

Then you fly back to Michigan from a New York area airport.

You can't just easily drive around the Northeastern U.S. and the big cities as though you were driving from Marquette to Traverse City.

5. Re: New York City for a day, driving from Boston to Michigan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:20