We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

My son stopped in yesterday after a shopping trip to a local mall - WestFarms in Farmington, CT - he specifically was shopping for shirts at Brook Brothers. He then related a story about his wife who had been to Clinton Crossing Premium Outlets, Clinton, CT which is owned by the same people who own Woodbury. She bought him a couple of dress shirts - 16.5x37" -when he tried one of them on, one sleeve was 37 and the other he estimated at least 5 inches longer. The other shirt neck was much smaller than 16.5" - he measured it and it was about a 14.5". They returned the shirts to BB at their main store (WF) as the outlet was over an hour away and the very apologetic clerk revealed that there are no real 'leftovers' sold at the outlet - majority of the clothes are made for them. So, if you do buy clothes from an outlet - make sure the fit is correct because it's a long way to go to return them from the US/AUS/EU.

Better yet, shop in NYC for 1st quality merchandise - in the long run this will save you more money that visiting these so-called outlets.

Poppa

USA
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

I never understood the allure of outlets, except for price. But then the old saying is, you get what you pay for. I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that outlets sell seconds, blems, or outdated stock? So many posts from people that want to go to these outlets, with all that NYC has to offer, there is nowhere else to go.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

The outlets are great if you hit it right. You have to know your merchandise. Yes, some stuff is made just for outlet stores and isn't up to par. You gave to check it out.

I go regularly, have gotten great deals at. Ann Taylor, Fossil, Loft, Eddie Bauer, Maidenform, Clark's, UnderArmour, Jones NY, Banana Rep, etc. Beautiful, first quality Clark's shoes worth 100+ for 50, regularly. I'm not a Coach bag fan, but the women at my office who like them get theirs at the outlets. Have gotten a 200- Fossil briefcase for 100.

It's hit or miss and not everything is a bargain. You have to know your stuff, know your prices. I've come across stuff that's definitely not the same quality as the store name would suggest but I also have gotten amazing deals on good stuff.

I wouldn't divert from NYC to visit an outlet mall unless you're really intend to bring back piles of stuff and want to spend your valuable vacation time shopping at a generic outlet mall. NYC is so vibrant and full of personality...plus there's plenty of shopping there.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

There are many telltale signs that products are made specifically for factory outlets. For example, Gap and Banana Republic tags are the opposite color of their regular tags (blue on white vs. white on blue). Coach bags made for factory have an F in the style number.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

The New York Times has reported that 86% of the merchandise sold in outlet malls is specifically made for those malls, and is not overstock or last season's merchandise from the brand's regular stores.

nytimes.com/2013/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

You can find some genuine merchandise at outlets discounted down , my hubby picked up a Gc watch for $90 down from $600 at Jersey Gardens ,Timberland boots for my teenager for $50 . You do have to pick through to find the bargains , just as you do at Century 21 or a clearance rack at Macys .

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

Outlet mall merchandise is "genuine," in that it does come from the manufacturer indicated. It's just that the great bulk of it is not the same merchandise as the manufacturer sells in "regular" stores, but is specifically manufactured for the outlet malls.

7. Re: Woodbury Outlets & outlets in general...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20