We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to New York

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to New York

Hi, I am planning my first visit to New York at the end of August. I will be visiting for 4 nights, and will be staying at the Sofitel (picked this hotel after reading all the reveiws).

I hope to visit the following, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to see them all in 4 days. Any ideas what I should omit or add to my itinary.

Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Central Park, Time Square, Circle line cruise, Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum (husbands choice), Guggenheim and American Museum of Natural History. Grand Central Statilon and of course Shopping (can hear hubby moaning already).

Would also like to catch a show and go an an evening cruise.

Think I will be needing another holiday to get over this trip.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to New York

Sounds like you are in for a busy few days but you will love it.

I think you may just be able to squeeze all that in if you plan it right. We went for 5 days and I planned the whole trip to include everything we wanted to do.

I would suggest you try and do the empire state twice - first thing in a morning and then one night to get 2 completely different views of the city.

The Guggenheim museum I thought was a bit poor - would not go out of my way to visit there and I cant speak for the sea aor space museum as I have never been.

The circle line cruise is good.

You can do Statue of liberty one morning, then head over to Brooklyn and walk back into manhattan over brooklyn bridge, then get a subway to grand central and also see the chrysler building.

Times square and empire state you could do on the same day and maybe squeeze in a trip to macy's

Central Park - depends how much time you want to spend there - could be a morning or a full day.

Best thing to do is get a map and find all the places you want to see and then plan a day in each area. The subways are great and get you anywhere in manhattan in a short space of time and they are not expensive.

Be prepared to do a lot of walking and you will be tired and sleep well at the end of the days but it will be worth it - also take lots of pics as there are so many things to see.

Have fun!!!!!

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to New York

Dan, thanks for the reply. I have a couple of guide books and will check the links in one of the postits for the forums.

Will have to sit down and plan a full itinarary and try to work out how the subways & buses work.

I have a couple of quick questions:-

* Is it best (easiest after a long flight from UK) to get a taxi from JFK to midtown Manhatten. If so, how much would I expect to pay.

* One of my guide books says that you can no longer go to the 102 floor of the Empire State Building, does any one know if that is correct?

* Is is worth buying a citypass?

Ta.

PS - Have to say that I use Tripadvisor when I plan most of my holidays, as I always prefer other travellers advise over the guide books.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to New York

I'd also recommend top of the rock-the views are amazing

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to New York

Hi BlueSiFi

Your fellow countryman gives you good advice. From a native:

Taxi is the best way from JFK especially if more than 1 of you. There's a flat rate into Manhattan--used to be $35, unless, because of our gas price hikes, it's gone to $40.

Subways are great way to get around, but can be confusing especially on weekends when's there's track work. Just ask--New Yorkers are friendly (yes, really).

Your best options for Metrocard-- 5 rides for $10, get one ride free, 10 rides for $20, get two rides free. Vending machines in all stations. Here's the link.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/index.html

At Empire State, I don't think anyone's been to 102nd floor since King Kong. They take you to 86th. Don't worry--view is stunning. View from Top of the Rock is very popular right now--may be hard to get tickets.

Have fun.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to New York

Hey

Not wishing to correct a NYer but the flat rate from JFK to Mid-town is $45 excluding toll and tip - if you ask the driver to take you over the bridge you get to see the fantastic skyline and save yourself the toll =)

Also you can now go to the 102nd floor again at the ESB for an extra cost - www.esbnyc.com

Regards

Louise

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to New York

Another thing to add to your list would be the Brooklyn Bridge. You can get the subway over to the Brooklyn side and walk across - at sunset this is lovely and you get a fab view of the skyline - takes about half an hour to walk it - depending on how long you stop to take photos :)

As Choogirl mentions the Top of the Rock is now open (you may see this here abbreviated to TOTR) www.topoftherocknyc.com. Whilst I still think the ESB is a classic trip to do once the TOTR is a more pleasent experience - less queues, bigger observatory decks and friendly staff. You get a great view of Central Park and the ESB from up there. If possible I would do TOTR during the day and ESB at night to get the most from both views :)

At the Grand Central Station look out for the Whispering Gallery it's great fun - here's a link to some more info: newyorkmetro.com/listings/…

england
Level Contributor
320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to New York

Anyone know the taxi fare from newark airport to times square, thanks

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to New York

Here's a link for official taxi rates. Scroll down to New York City/Manhattan. Hope it's helpful.

www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrtaxizones.htm

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to New York

Thanks everyone. I will now add Top of the Rock to my list of things to do.

Can't wait to actually get to NY.

regares

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to New York

If you're coming into Manhattan from JFK or LGA and wish to avoid the toll, ask your driver to take the (free) 59th St. (aka Queensborough) Bridge. Great views from the Bridge, especially at night. The driver may balk if traffic is heavy.

BlueSiFi, don't plan too much. Allow time for exploring, and relaxing. If you don't get to see everything, it's a great excuse for a return trip.