We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

As some of you know, I have been looking for the right place to stay for my husband and teenage daughter, who will be staying in New York from 28 May to 1 June.

While I can find double rooms with shared baths without our budget (max $300) easily - mostly around $230-250 (for instance at The Hotel Newton) - it would really be good to have a room with two separate beds and a private bath to accommodate the teenage girl.

I have been looking at the Upper West Side, which based on input from this site seems to be the kind of neighbourhood we are looking for, and have found some options there. For instance, the Milburn Hotel seems to be able to deliver, but the price tag is at the high-end of our budget ($300 per night).

Before deciding between the Newton and the Milburn, I just want to see if I can find what I am looking for in another neighbourhood at a price that is more comfortable for our budget. We are looking for somewhere with local residents and many diners/coffee shops/eateries nearby, while not too interested in Midtown. For the hotel itself, we are not asking much, as long as it is clean. For comparison, we have for instance stayed at the Travelodge Docklands in London and were very happy with that.

In conclusion:

One room

Two single Beds (or bigger beds)

Private Bath

Manhattan

Area with "local vibe"

<$300, preferably <$250

Any help would be appreciated! And thanks in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

I mentioned the St. Marks hotel in your other thread which is well under budget.

Hampton inn Seaport is $246/night prepaid for 2 queeb beds and includes breakfast.

Holiday Inn Lower East Side $242-250/night plus tax for 2 double beds

Best Western Bowery Hanbee $254/night plus tax for 2 queens including breakfast

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

I wrote the section below before I discovered that you can get a better rate at the Newton Hotel than what you've indicated. Do you realize that some of their rooms have a private bath? If you go to their own website, you can have a room with two queen beds and private bath at $233.75 + tax. That's if you do a prepaid, non-refundable rate. I think that's your best bet since you really want to keep your budget low, and the UWS would be a great choice for neighborhood.. http://www.thehotelnewton.com/

Here's what I had already written up. I figure it may help you assess your alternatives, but I'd still vote for the Newton....

I understand your desire for a "neighborhood" feel. Though there are a number of good options in other areas that aren't so "neighborhoody", after a lot of searching, the one I could identify that you might like is the Gem Soho. It's actually near Soho, not in it. It's in the Lower East Side. It's next to a little park there where people have their own gardens, loads of local restaurants (including some famous ones like Katz's, Russ & Daughters, etc). But it's $279 for a room with two beds, so right up at that same price point you were hoping to avoid. http://www.thegemhotel.com/ Be sure to select the Soho location.

Use google maps street view to "walk around"

It's also very near Chinatown.

I'm not encouraging you do take this over the Milburn, just giving you another option, and saying I searched my heart out :-)

One place I checked on your behalf was the suite accommodations (not regular inn rooms) at Chelsea Lodge. The suites I would personally recommend are booked. The only one left is the lower level suite, and I'm not sure I want to push that one. It's below street level and reviews aren't as nice for that unit (I stayed in the unit above it).

And then, I realized you can get a better price at the Newton :-)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

Sorry, it took me awhile to post that and I missed NYWhiz's suggestions.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

Thanks a lot. Solid options. I am not too familiar with the lower end of Manhattan (the three hotels mentioned by nywhiz), but i guess Google Maps doesnt even tell half the story.

St. Marks has really nice reviews and the price looks to be very cheap indeed (just checking with them now to find out what they can offer us at that time). Of course the rooms are small and not what you get at the Newton, but that is of course as to be expected when the price is that much lower. Looks like a very attractive neighbourhood too.

And lastly, thanks for checking the rates at The Newton - I cannot believe I did not see that 2 Queen bed option!

Edited: 11 March 2014, 21:28
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

Booked a room at the Newton yesterday - and today I got a tax refund. So budget looks great and I am happy I made a safe and comfortable choice for the family. Now I just have to wait until I can tell my kid. Thanks a lot for the help here.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

..I think you made a great call Kamilla W:-) The Newton will offer all you are looking for in the 'local residents.. lots of coffee shops, diners, eateries' arena;-) Enjoy!

7. Re: A room with two beds and private bath in Manhattan <$250?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:23