We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

Toledo, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

My family and I (2 adults; 3 children under 11) are visiting New York City for a few days and are looking for alternatives to staying in Manhattan to save on hotel cost and parking our vehicle. We would be looking to take the subway in each morning, do planned activities, including a Yankees game one evening, and back to the hotel each night. Would this be recommended as an alternative to staying in the city, or should we just stay in the city? If a recommendation for outside of the city (i.e., New Jersey), any specific recommendations and suggestions for the commute in each day? Thank you!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

What are your dates and budget? Where are you coming from?

Toledo, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

Coming from Ohio; ideally less than $200 per night.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

Anywhere in Newport, Exchange place and Hoboken. Even grove street area is not bad.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

There is no subway to New Jersey. You will need to take the Path or the bus in, you need to factor in transit costs for your family of five. Sometimes it is cheaper to stay in Manhattan as daily transit is not cheap.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

What are your dates, the rates change daily so to give accurate costs the dates are needed. Also we assume you can manage with two beds and a sofa bed?

Toledo, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

Yes, April 12-15. Thank you

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

I think you are going to have difficulty finding a room for 5 for $200 for your dates, even in convenient New Jersey Locations.

Can you adjust your maximum budget? Keep in mind that tax will add ~15%.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

I think if your main goal is to see one place stay in that place. IMO Parking in the places I drink water reccomended is just as bad if not worse than parking in Manhattan.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 19:11
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

Room for five really limits your options, do a forum search for "rooms for five" to see some past suggestions, but any of them are going to be more than $200 a night in and around the city. I checked a couple of sites asking for two rooms, thinking if you had to, one parent could be in a room with two kids, the other parent with one. Even with that scenario, I was coming up with roughly $170 per room per night, even at bargain hotels.

I posted a thread a few days ago stating that the Quality Inn in Long Island City (part of Queens) is looking very cheap for the next few months. I looked there for your dates and it only came up with queen bed rooms for $80 each per night plus taxes. I know they have rooms with two double beds, you could call and see if they have something that would work, either single room or two. They have some free street parking, or relatively cheap offsite parking right around the corner. Since LIC is in New York, it's got very close and easy access to Manhattan via subway.

USA
Level Contributor
12,421 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to New York City: Where to Stay in New Jersey

I see a lot of people staying at the hotels along Paterson Plank Road in East Rutherford. The hotels (major chains/modern) are serviced by the NJT 163/164 bus lines into Port Authority Bus Terminal (8th ave/42nd st). Some of these hotels have suites and all have parking and plenty of room. The commute is relatively simple, but rush hour traffic can be extreme. It's a cheap alternative and because you're coming from Ohio, it will also save you the trip into NYC with your car. Once at the Port Authority, you can walk to many attractions such as Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and the Empire State Building. The subway is also very convenient as well. For the Yankee game, you can either take the subway from NYC or drive.