We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

Husband and I will be arriving at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal and would like to consider public transport into Manhattan. We will be travelling light and are in no hurry.

I have been trying to research and it seems we can take take the 61 bus from Red Hook to Atlantic Ave & Court St, in downtown Brooklyn, and then take the subway into Manhattan - is that so?.

We have never been to New York before and I fear we will get very confused and lost - the advice here seems to always be limo/taxi, but is bus and subway a ridiculous idea?

If it could be a practical journey, is there any info you can offer, please

Many thanks

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

Sure - It is very practical. You have to bear in mind that most people going on cruises pack everything including the kitchen sink. Getting them into a taxi is barely practical considering the volume of luggage they often seem to have in tow. I bike / jog past the Manhattan cruise terminal and often look in disbelief at all the luggage - are you emigrating with the family or going on a 7 day holiday??? Is there anything at all that you left behind at home??? But alas, I just keep pedaling or jogging.

The B.61 is an excellent bus. It is never terribly crowded and it is extremely reliable. It is an excellent bus and it hooks up with many different subway lines depending on exactly where in Manhattan you're going.

So, absolutely, it is practical if you haven't packed all of your worldly possessions.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

How did you know MoreFFmiles that I bring the kitchen sink with me when I go on a cruise...haha...I once had a bellman ask me if I was moving in!!! I was staying at a hotel before leaving for a cruise and he thought my suitcase was kind of heavy:(

The happiness I have when I book for a cruise is that there is no weight restriction...that is pure heaven!!

East Coast
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

My wife and I have done this a few times (in both directions), without luggage. It is certainly feasible, and not too terribly confusing IF you've thoroughly familiarized yourselves with the route beforehand. Frankly, it is not the most pleasant way to travel, especially during peak times. (A bit of culture shock after disembarking from the Queen Mary 2--but I guess that's all part of the travel experience!)

If you need specific details/ directions/ suggestions, just ask, and I'll be glad to answer.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate your time.

It is the ship that will be the culture-shock and we will be keen to get back to reality.

I believe one can pick up metro cards from a tobacconist and put a few dollars onto them.

I presume we will find a shop we can get them from?

I would be grateful for as much detailed instruction that you can manage please, Jack.

This is the info I found and if it is right, presumably, need to reverse it...though I must admit it may as well be in a foreign language...no way can I follow it :)

"Take the 61 bus, on the northwest corner of Atlantic Ave & Court St, in downtown Brooklyn, to Red Hook. It runs west, down Atlantic, then turns south, right down Van Brunt Street. Take almost any train to Court St/Borough Hall. 2,3,4,5,M,R. A, C, F stop a few blocks east at Jay St/Borough Hall. From there, you can walk to the 61, or even take a short (and much cheaper) cab ride to the Terminal."

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

Oooooooh - you will need to know where we are going:

"23rd St. subway entrance in Manhattan's Chelsea District"

I believe we can travel on the subway with the same ticket, after the bus

Many thanks for your help

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

I think you can purchase your MetroCards at either Pioneer Street Supermarket or H & K Deli (also known as Heba Deli) - both on the corner of Van Brunt and Pioneer Streets as you exit the cruise ship terminal.

The good news is that if in a worst case scenario neither of them can sell you the MetroCard you need, you can pay for the bus with coins. You'd need to ask them for $5.00 in quarters. Assuming two of you, you would need ten quarters each (twenty quarters total for two of you).

The cruise ship terminal is in a safe and populated part of Brooklyn. It is not desolate and it certainly is not unsafe.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

Really kind of you, MoreFFmiles.

It is bizarre how one gets bogged down with pathetic little worries,

but I suppose the big things are covered in guide books, and one can easily find answers

to the more common concerns.

Cheers

Elaine

East Coast
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

How to get from Red Hook to Manhattan (& back) by bus & subway

Elaine ~

For the purpose of familiarizing yourself with the tricky parts of my directions beforehand, it's probably easiest if you follow along with the aid of Google Maps. So, first, google

PIONEER ST, BROOKLYN, NY

and pull up the map. You will see the location of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and the streets in the immediate area.

You'll need to walk from the cruise terminal to the northeast corner of Pioneer Street and Van Brunt Street, where the bus stop is located. The walk should take 10 minutes or less.

When you come out of the cruise terminal, turn left and follow the exit road--shown on the map as Clinton Wharf, though I don't recall any signs calling it this. Stay on the sidewalk [=pavement] alongside the road.

Just where the road starts to veer sharply left, cross toward the right-hard side of the road. There you'll see a wire fence with a narrow pedestrian gate. Go through the gate--you have now left the dock area.

Continue walking straight along Pioneer Street until you come to Van Brunt Street. Cross over to Van Brunt Street. You'll see the bus stop just to your left (right in front of the Chinese takeaway/ insurance office/ check-cashing store). A bus (designated B61) should be along shortly.

You want to take the bus to the stop at Atlantic Avenue and Court Street. (The ride will take approximately 12-14 minutes.)

To familiarize yourselves with the route for the next phase of the trip, enter the following into Google Maps:

ATLANTIC AVE & COURT ST, BROOKLYN, NY

You should see a red A on the map at this exact location. This is where you alight from the bus.

Now, cross Atlantic Avenue and walk north on Court Street. You want to walk up to the park behind Borough Hall (the building labeled on the map as “Brooklyn Borough President”), to the subway station (marked with a white M inside a blue square) designated “Borough Hall [2,3].” This walk should take less than 10 minutes.

In the subway station, you'll want to get a number 2 train heading toward the Bronx. (I think a number 3 train should also be okay, but I'm not 100% sure.)

A slight complication now arises: The number 2 train does not stop at 23rd Street. So, you have a couple of alternatives: You could get off at 14th Street and walk north to 23rd Street. Or you could transfer to a number 1 train at 14th Street; the number 1 train does stop at 23rd. If I'm not mistaken, at 14th Street you board the 1 train just across the platform from where you've gotten off the 2 train.

Coming back from Manhattan, the process is reversed, with just a slight difference in how you transfer from the Brooklyn Borough Hall subway station to the B61 bus back to Red Hook.

Take the subway (number 2 or 3 train) back to Borough Hall.

Now paste this into Google Maps:

BOERUM PL/JORALEMON ST, BROOKLYN, NY

The red A on the map is where you board the B61 bus back to Red Hook. When you exit the subway station, simply walk through the park via the broad pedestrian walk, and cross Joralemon Street over to the Brooklyn Law School. The bus stop is literally just around the corner from here, on Boerum Place. You can't miss it. The walk from the subway exit to the bus stop should take just two or three minutes.

Again, the bus ride should take approximately 12-15 minutes, depending on traffic. You'll see the Queen Mary on the right-hand side as you approach your destination. You can get off the bus either at the Verona Street stop and walk a couple of blocks ahead to Pioneer Street, or at King Street, walking a block back to Pioneer Street—and then back to the cruise terminal the same way you came out.

Incidentally--I'm sure you know this already, but just a reminder: Google Maps Street View is a wonderful tool; I often use it to explore an unfamiliar area before I visit the place in the flesh. You can "see" just about any point on the map by dragging the little orange figure ("peg man") onto the street you want to see. Proof that a picture is worth a thousand words!

Hope this is helpful. (It really is easier than I've made it sound.) Do ask if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

J.A.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

That was very very kind but I have to say that if I were unfamiliar, that might confuse me. Exiting the cruise ship area is rather straightforward and should be somewhat obvious.

Imagine giving somebody instructions how to tie their shoelace, it's a complicated set of directions.

There is a chainlink fence so basically you can only go forwards and backwards - you can't really veer off in the wrong direction. I presume folks will have enough common sense not to go backwards (unless you want to go for a swim alongside the ship)

I'm going to propose something simple.

Here's the bus schedule with the route map on the last page. mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b061cur.pdf

Take the bus to the very last stop - Smith and Livingston. This way you don't have to worry about missing your stop. It's roughly 20 minutes. Last stop. Get off at Livingston and Smith and walk forward (in the direction the bus was going up Smith. The next block is Fulton Street and as you cross Fulton St., Smith Street becomes Jay Street. You enter the subway at Jay Street.

At Jay Street you can choose between the Manhattan bound C train and the Manhattan bound F train (ultimately bound for 179th Street Jamaica Queens). The beauty of this is that both stop at 23rd Street - no additional changes. The C stops at 23rd Street & 8th Avenue. The F train stops at 23rd Street and 6th Avenue. You choose which train based on exactly where you want to go.

This way there is no looking for a specific stop on the bus and no adventure looking for the subway station and no changing trains once on the subway.

10. Re: Bus and Subway from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:18