We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Mt Eliza, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Are hotel rates likely to get cheaper after January 1st in NY? I've never been there so I'm not sure how the peak season operates. Thank you.

Special Offer
Madame Tussauds New York
149 Reviews
from US$31.49*
US$37.03
Hard Rock Cafe Prix-Fixe Menu in New...
14 Reviews
from US$32.49*
Special Offer
New York Double Decker Bus Night Tour
150 Reviews
from US$29.00*
US$49.00
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Prices fluctuate dramatically by date. Jan.-March is relatively cheap. When are you visiting?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

We arrive Dec 31st and I am considering booking the first 4 nights. Can't decide if Airbnb is a wise choice given the recent publicity. We then aim to visit NF/Ontario for 5 days and we're hoping that at that point hotels will be cheaper. Is it worth being adventurous and booking at the last minute?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Dec. 31 is perhaps the most expensive night of the year! Airbnb is illegal and NO, I don't recommend it. There are always great sales for Jan. but it's likely tooe arly to see them now. You can book something cancelable now though if you want.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Hi NyWhiz! I really do appreciate your input and candid reply. Being slightly OCD I thought it would be great to have a washer/dryer available, but I am sure there'll be reasonably priced laundry services around. I think we will book 3 or 4 nights in a hotel than do our NF trip and take it from there. Can I pick your brains please? Would you recommend we stay around central park/Manhattan area throughout or venture into other areas of NY?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

No one location is substantially better than another. You need to be near a subway station to get around. I usually tell people to first find the best hotels in your budget for your dates and then start eliimating based on location rather than trying to pick a location first. Think of what amenities (ie view, breakfast included, free wifi etc.) you want. Since your stay includes NYE, the further from Times Square you are, likely the less expensive. Since it sounds like you'll be visiting twice, picking 2 different areas might be both practical and fun.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 08:41
Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
Mt Eliza, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Thanks! I think I'll follow your advise, maybe have a few days in NJ or Brooklyn!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

Just a note that I've noticed some hotels including the Hotel Beacon (which is often recommended on this forum) has laundry facilities. Not sure of your price range/dates of course but I'm sure the locals can steer you in the right direction!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Beacon
Hotel Beacon
4,019 Reviews
New York City, NY
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

I've been told that the Verve hotel in LIC has self serve washer/dryers for guests.

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
364 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
9. Re: Cost of Hotels in Manhattan, New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28