We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
23 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Hi everyone. Travelling with 2 U10's as a family arriving in early April. We are staying on E45 St at the Roosevelt which appears close to Grand Central. Can you travel from Newark to Grand Central by train direct? As there are four of us is it much difference in cost if we took a cab from the airport instead? Thanks

31 replies to this topic
East Coast
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

The train trip is a bit of a hassle, especially when travelling with children and luggage after you have just come off a long transatlantic flight. ("Airtrain" monorail from the airport terminal to Newark Liberty Airport railway station; change there for NJ Transit train from Newark Liberty station to New York Penn Station--this line doesn't go to Grand Central--then cab to your hotel.)

By far the easiest (and cheaper) way to do this journey by public transport is by Newark Airport Express Coach:

www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

coachusa.com/info/…ss.toolkit.wheretobuy.asp

The coach will drop you off just a block south of Grand Central Station (the last stop on this coach route), and you can then walk to the Roosevelt Hotel in 10 minutes or less.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Newark isn't serviced by NYC cabs, so a car service is generally recommended, I think $80ish with tip and tolls is usually estimated.

I usually take the train, but the bus is a great option in your case. No transfers, $16 per person, and I would think your kids would enjoy the bus ride into the city.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

To get a price quote,here is the link for dial 7, which is a popular car service used here in the Tri-State area.....

www.dial7.com

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,432 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

I believe your kids would also get a discount on the bus -- it may be 50%., so check.

Agree bus would probably be better option; however, the last time I took it the bus was a disgrace. An old bus of the sort formerly used as a shuttle between airport terminals -- one can only hope they have upgraded since then. Also, beware of this option if you are arriving later in the evening, which I suspect you aren't, as they sometimes don't have enough buses and leave people standing at the airport to find another way to get into the city (which is what happened when I last took it; fortunately I wasn't one of those left behind).

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
23 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Thanks everyone for taking time out to respond, and for all the advice. Much appreciated. Looks like the bus and looks easy to book on-line. Hope the sun is shining when we get there......

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Was the bus journey OK? We are travelling December with one child and are considering this option.

look forward to your reply.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

It depends on what time you are arriving. If you anticipate leaving the airport between 730 and 930 AM or 4 to 7 pm, then I would suggest you take the train to Penn station and take an NYC taxi from there as EWR to Grand Central will take 1-2 hours in peak traffic by car/bus.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
23 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Hi the bus journey was absolutely fine. Easy to pick up and you can pay on the bus although we pre paid. The bus stop in central New York is also reasonably well marked and was on time very early in the morning. No worries at all and with the traffic there is probably the easiest, best and cheapest way to get to and from the airport. Good luck...

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Thanks arriving late afternoon. So your reply was very helpful

Springfield...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark airport to Grand Central Station

Hi,

I am taking the Coach USA bus from the Newark airport to Grand Central Station and really need to know how long it takes. Their website doesn't tell the trip's duration and their toll-free recording doesn't, either. Does anyone know how long it takes?

Thanks!

Reply to: Newark airport to Grand Central Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted