We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transport from EWR, single passenger

San Francisco Bay...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best transport from EWR, single passenger

Hello fellow travelers. My first trip to New York is just days away. I am flying into Newark at 4:30pm on a Sunday. After reading assorted reviews, I am at a loss as to what the best way is to get to my lodging on w.56th St. in Manhattan. I am not interested in lots of transfers. Two rides on public transport may be ok since its still daytime when I arrive. Will also consider shuttle, taxi. My goal is to arrive at my hotel within one hour max. What can you recommend? Thank you! price not so much an issue as is convenience, but still need to keep it affordable. Thank you!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

Where on W. 56th Street are you staying. It will make a difference for travel directions.

Actually, for one person, the AirTrain and New Jersey Transit into Penn Station is the "best" way, but that will require an additional transfer once you reach Penn Station, which you said you didn't want.

So your alternative is to take the Express Bus from the airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and change there either for a subway to your hotel or a short taxi ride. Again, which subway to take depends on your destination. This is why it's always important to give the actual address and/or cross streets.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 02:29
San Francisco Bay...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

Thank you. I will look up your suggestions on a map I just received. I appreciate your reply.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

I am a big fan of Airtrain + NJ transit train and get off at NY Penn Station ( Last Stop)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

The express bus gets very mixed reviews, I'd avoid it given the OP's concern about convenience

yelp.com/biz/newark-liberty-airport-express-…

A car service is your best alternative if you don't want to do the Airtrain (wihich is, indeed, the most reliable method). On a sunday afternoon I don't think traffic will be much of an issue. A taxi would also work but a car service is about the same and either way you will be paying tolls in both directions

www.dial7.com

www.carmellimo.com

http://www.strusserslimousineservice.com/ (they're a premium service, btw)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

Drop shared shuttle services from your list of possibilities. They are uniformly bad in NYC. You might not even leave the airport until an hour after you intended.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

There can be a lot of traffic on Sunday afternoons coming into Manhattan - especially when the weather is nice (but also when it is raining). The train is the fastest, most economical and by far the safest and most reliable.

AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit - combined ticket for $12.50. It is a painless / almost seamless transfer between the monorail and the real train.

San Francisco Bay...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

thank you. How long of a trip might that be?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

25-30 min to get to Penn Station

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochur…

Edited: 14 March 2014, 21:02
9. Re: Best transport from EWR, single passenger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:17