We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Fun" Broadway show?

S P
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
"Fun" Broadway show?

Heading to NYC with my wife in August to celebrate our 40th birthdays. Have tickets for Les Mis as it's her favourite show of all time. Looking for a lighter show for another night. Last time in NYC we saw How to Succeed in Business and really enjoyed it - looking for something along those lines. Saw Book of Mormon in Toronto last year, so that's out. Any recommendations?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

The updated Pippin is amazing. It is my favorite musical of all times & I was not certain I'd like a rethought version but it was wonderful.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

Along with Pippin:

Kinky Boots --wacky, quirky, fun, touching without being heavy or sappy.. Cyndi Lauper's upbeat music is one of the stars.

Either way, you can't miss.. .

Edited: 14 March 2014, 19:45
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

A gentleman's guide to love and murder

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

I'll second ztaks' reco of "A Gentlemen's Guide..." It's not your classic American musical (not much dancing and it comes from England) but a hilarious romp that's a cross between English music hall with a bit of Gilbert & Sullivan silliness/wit. The voices are great, the costumes and sets for eye popping and you walk out with a smile on your face.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

We will be seeing AvenueQ when visiting later this year ... I have already seen it 3 times and it's in my top 3 shows. If you like irreverent humour and OK with a lot of swearing you will enjoy it immensely.

S P
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

Thanks - these are great suggestions. Will do some research - looks like we will choose one of these!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

You may also want to consider "Bullets Over Broadway" which is in previews now, it's great fun. Susan Stroman has stopped at nothing to present some of her funniest and most innovative productions numbers since "The Producers."

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

Thrilled to hear you liked it whirlwind. .;)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

Gentleman's Guide should fit the bill but be advised that the mezzanine seats have little leg room.

Also After Midnight which is a musical review with lots if tap dancing and singing

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Fun" Broadway show?

We loved Gentleman's Guide. Jefferson Mays should win the Tony for his performance in that show. He was outstanding and so entertaining!