We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something special

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Something special

Hi all

I'm going to be in NYC from 23rd-30th Nov, staying at the Kimberley with my mum. I would like to do something special for her, as she has had a bad couple of years. We have been to NYC together once before 3 years ago. I bought her a helicopter ride that time. Has anyone got any great ideas of either a place to visit/activity/resteraunt which is that little bit different or special as a christmas surprise for my mum. She loves NYC!!! Not sure on budget all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something special

Well, if I could get my mom to N.Y.C., and that will probably never happen, I think an afternoon tea would be very special. The ones at the St.Regis and the Mandarin Oriental have gotten good reviews here. I believe the cost should be $35 or $38 per person. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something special

One thing you could do, little but tear-jerking (I think anyway!) would be to get her name in lights in TS.

The Hershey shop does it for about $5.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Something special

1. Big- hit Broadway show

2. Spa day. Local experts can advise the best places.

3. Afternoon tea at a luxurious place is a great idea as is the name in lights idea.

4. Opera with dinner before the performance at the Grand Tier restaurant within the hall and dessert there at intermission. Here is a link. Scroll down to the Grand Tier information (Where can I eat?) paragraphs.

5. Lunch and shopping at Barney's with a gift certificate on the dessert tray......or another store....just check beforehand on the restaurant.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something special

All great ideas so far. River Cafe for a meal?

rivercafe.com

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something special

I was going to suggest River Cafe too! I was worried people might start to think I was on commision for them though ;-)

I remember someone going as late as possible for the price-fixe lunch and managing to catch the sunset because of the time of year, that would tie in with it being the end of November for your trip.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Something special

Sorry. Forgot the opera link: metoperafamily.org/metopera/…

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something special

Hiya

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, will look into them. Please keep them coming!!

Georgie

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Something special

Nothing I can think of to add, just wanted to say you're a fabulous son! Your Mum did well.

9. Re: Something special

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 20:18