We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Figuring out the bus to Boston

Mumbai
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Figuring out the bus to Boston

Hello,

My wife and I (with 2 medium suitcases) have to leave from Manhattan on 20th Apr after 7pm for Boston (specifically Allston).

We need to return to Hampton Inn JFK, Jamaica on 22nd night (anytime) to catch a morning flight out of JFK at 9.30am

I would request some info on the buses plying this route and what would be the most convenient stop for us on the return?

I believe the main bus station in NY is the Port Authority and South Station in Boston.

Are these my best bets?

Looking forward to your suggestions

Amit

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

There are cheap buses to Boston and less cheap buses to Boston.

There are a bunch of Chinese-American companies which run super-cheap buses. They are generally a bad idea nowadays as they have been cited for extreme safety violations and there are other options now.

Bolt Bus and Megabus are the cheap buses run by the standard bus lines. They are reliable and very inexpensive - usually around $15 - but their stop in NYC is inconvenient, on 34th Street at 11th Avenue not near any subway lines. Bolt also has a few buses a day which leave from 39th Street and 1st Avenue, which is also inconvenient, just inconvenient in the other direction. But if you're willing to walk a few blocks from the subway, I've always had a good experience with Bolt.

Greyhound/Peter Pan is another established bus line. It tends to be more expensive than Bolt/Megabus, and the buses aren't any more comfortable, but the stop is MUCH more accessible, as it's in the Port Authority right on a subway stop and you get to wait indoors, not outdoors.

Go Buses (http://www.gobuses.com/) might be a good middle ground. Their prices are between Greyhound and Bolt Bus, and so is convenience - they leave from a streetside location, outdoors not indoors, but it's right near Penn Station and so quite accessible.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

Are you aware that there are also trains (Amtrak) between NYC and Boston? It's more expensive than the bus, but many prefer the train. Note that tickets purchased in advance are less expensive than waiting until the last minute.

Some travelers are confused about the train's "no checked baggage" policy. That just means you carry your luggage onto the train and put it in overhead racks or storage space at the ends of each car. People ride with full sized luggage all the time.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

Alternatively, you could also check flights to Boston and maybe skip your last night in NYC, flying back that morning?

Check jetairways

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

What is "jetairways?" As an American who is a frequent flier, I have no idea what that is.

The train is more comfortable but MASSIVELY more expensive than the bus.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

hmmm, I was wondering why they didn't show flights ...

how about http://www.jetblue.com/?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

Jetblue is fine, but no more or less expensive than any of the other airlines that fly to Boston. There's no reason to single it out any more. Delta also does a lot of flights to Boston. Unlike in Europe, the US airline industry doesn't really have a "low-price" sector any more - Jetblue and Southwest, which used to be low-fare airlines, are now just big, domestic airlines that have similar prices as everyone else.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

There is no way to get from Boston to JFK by train or bus without going through Manhattan. Consider tHe the low cost bus from NY to Boston and flying from Boston to JFK

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

I've always had good experiences with greyhound/peter pan bus lines; I'm actually traveling from Mass to NY using a peter pan bus in a few months...

Mumbai
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Will get booked on greyhound from ny to boston.

My dilemma lies with the trip coming from Boston.

I need to reach the Hampton Inn jfk by 22 Apr midnitefrom allston.

Which is my best option and route on the bus? Am teak is way too expensive and so are the flights

Any help would be greatly appreciated

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,911 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Figuring out the bus to Boston

There is also Megabus and Bolt bus, which are cheaper than Greyhound.

Do look into Amtrak (train). It is a little expensive ( about $49) but it is worth it. The ride is smooth and comfortable.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 19:02