We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

Also would like decent dinner. with teenagers, so bar scene not important

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

Just the atmosphere or the food as well ?

Edited: 17 March 2014, 05:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

both. I have been to budakhan and had a good meal there, but never to spice market. so im looking for something on par with budakhan, (though I know that there are better places to eat in NYC!!)

Mentioned in this post
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

Both are very different. We went for drinks at SM then dinner at Buddakan so got to see both. Other than right at the bar at SM there are plenty of tables for you to have a (non-alcoholic) drink and an appetizer before heading over to B. I think your teens will like both.

Mentioned in this post
Buddakan
Buddakan
4,822 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

Well, Spice Market is more Thai and Buddakan is more Japanese-Chinese, but both are Asian Fusion. They are both hard to book on weekends and unattractively crowded at times. Both also have crowded, low-ceilinged areas and soaring, beautiful spaces. In the summer, Spice Market has a few window tables and outdoor tables (not attractive to me), not available at Buddakan. But you cannot stroll around the Meatpacking Area and expect to "walk-in" to either of these restaurants without a reservation. And at all restaurants, a table "preference" in a reservation is not a guarantee, it's a preference. And you don't know what to ask for until you've been there once.

Both restaurants are theatrical, fun experiences which will please teenagers. I personally think the food is better at the original Buddakan in Philadelphia than at the one in NY. The cuisine is so different between the two places under discussion that it's not useful to compare it. I give Spice Market a slight edge, but that's a very personal opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Buddakan
Buddakan
4,822 Reviews
New York City, NY
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
5. Re: budakhan or spice market for atmosphere "wow"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:20