We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

As per the title really, just wondering what sports play around late Nov/early Dec?

Would love to experience watching a game of some sort but I have no idea about the seasons for baseball, basketball, hockey etc! Thank you

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

November is American Football season NFL, NYGiants, NYJets, also the National Hockey League has games scheduled, NYRangers, NYIslanders, NJDevils.............

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

Also the NBA. NY Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

I know - do not care for pro BB - however should have listed them.....oh well!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

Thank you to you both.

With non of these sports really being familiar to me, which would you say offers the best spectating experience and atmosphere etc?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

Madison Sq garden is a great to watch any sport. Even the Barclay center is cool.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

I would say basketball would be the easiest to understand for a novice - hockey has some intrinsic rules that you may not pick up easily.

Also, NFL football is pretty straightforward...........

Good luck, enjoy whatever you choose.

Poppa

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

Great question. Interested in NBA at MSG. Best time and websites to source tickets??

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

Are all NFL games played at the MetLife stadium? The Giants and the Jets both play there? I've just been looking on a map and it doesn't look that easy to get there from Manhattan on public transport? Thank you for all the advice so far.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

I would also go to a basketball game vs the others, if it was me.

To answer a few questions:

-All NFL games are not played at MetLife. Only the local/home teams(Giants and Jets) play home games there.

-it is actually not difficult at all to get to MetLife stadium from the city.

-Knicks games at MSG-you can go right to the Knicks website for tickets. They 2014/2015 schedule has not been released as if yet. You can also use the 3rd party reseller, stubhub.com for tickets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any sporting events on around thanksgiving?

We have just returned from NY having been to a NY Knicks game at Madison Square Garden. I bought tickets through the Madison Square Garden website which turned out to be ticketmaster. They also offered a tickets resell programme which is how I got the tickets. The game was great, brilliant atmosphere and I am still amazed that the fans are all seated together...in the UK home and visitors are separated!

We will be returning to NY around Thanksgiving too so I'm so pleased to see your post. We will be staying near to the MetLife stadium (more hotel nights for our $$) and the NJ Transit bus looks (and we have been told) very simple and pretty quick (approx 1/2 hour).