We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ball park estimate of total taxi fare

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Topic
ball park estimate of total taxi fare

This will be a group of me, my wife, a 7 year old and 10month old visiting from SoCal for the first time. Say we visit NYC for 4 nights, doing the "typical" itinerary, can anyone provide a ball park estimate of the total amount we will likely end up paying on taxi fare during this vacation? thanks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ball park estimate of total taxi fare

Once you arrive at your hotel, the best ball park estimate for taxi fare is zero. Taxis are a slow way to get around congested Manhattan. The subways are much better. For four days you'll probably want a weekly unlimited card for each of you. The cost is $31 per person. Children's fares are by height, not age. So if your 7 year old is taller than 44 inches she pays regular adult fare. Befow that it's free. Obviouslly your 10 month old would be free. So your weekly cost would be either $62 or $93, depending on the height of your daughter.

No one can estimate taxi fares since they depend on both time and distance. You can get point to point estimates at a variety of websites. Here's one:

www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ball park estimate of total taxi fare

And to add, there is no "typical" itinerary.

I would say no more than $20-30. This takes into account possible bad weather where you just want to catch a cab from A to B. Other than that, use the subway.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ball park estimate of total taxi fare

You want your 10 month old to ride without a car seat? Unless you are bringing your own, the taxis do not have them.

You will waste precious time taking taxis everywhere - subways convenient/cheap and no need for a car seat.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ball park estimate of total taxi fare

I agree; the weekly cost is $62. Throw the baby in a backpack carrier - 10 months is a GREAT age for those - and pull the 7 year old with you through the subway turnstile (nobody will second guess you) and you're done. You won't need to ride in taxis.

5. Re: ball park estimate of total taxi fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:25