We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to New York - advice please?

Leeds, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
1st time to New York - advice please?

Hi all

We are visiting the USA later this year for our honeymoon and will be in New York for 3 nights from the 13th September.

Having never been before, I'm unsure as to where is the best area to stay. We haven't got a massive budget either, probably around £150 ($250) a night.

We're not overly fussed at being right in the centre of everything, and know that our budget probably wouldn't allow this anyway. But as long as we are close to transport and within a reasonable travel distance then this will be fine.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

Millburn hotel in the Upper West Side is within your budget for a king room $189 + taxes £667.14 (£405). I have stayed there twice andit is in a great area for transport & restaurants. Central Park is a short walk away. New York is a very accessible city .

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,449 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

September tends to be pricey. I took a quick look at hotels.com and there are only a handful of hotels for less than $275/night. Check out the reviews for the Milburn and if it is to your liking, book it via their website. Check the cancellation policy. I am pretty sure it can be cancelled without penalty, so you can always keep looking.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d121987-…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

That's a budget that might require looking outside of Manhattan. On the forum, the Long Island City hotels in Queens are thought of as the best values and I agree. The Nesva Hotel, Verve Hotel, and Paper Factory Hotel all seem to be in your price range. LIC is good because it offers the best combo of affordable prices, well-run properties, and close access to major sites. Check out the Paper Factory Hotel, it's a new stylish spot and might be better for a honeymoon than a more bland basic hotel.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Leeds, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

Thanks for all your replies!

Has anyone ever had any experience with Hotwire or Priceline? A lady at work suggested them and their prices don't seem too bad either

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

I use Priceline Name Your Own Price frequently on my NY trips, but it requires some knowledge about the different zones and what they encompass. You can read up on betterbidding.com, they have both Priceline and Hotwire sub-forums for NY. It's always best too to reserve something you can live with that's cancellable now, then use Priceline when it gets closer to the visit.

And be realistic, you WILL get a discount using one of those services, but rarely is it going to be 50% off or the like (although I've gotten extremely lucky a few times.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

I think you will get a great room in Manhattan for $250 in September. Keep looking. It is your first time ...so try to stay in Manhattan.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 16:39
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

The U.N. General Assembly convenes that Tuesday (the 16th). This will drive up hotel prices and gobble up rooms, affecting pricing for at least the last night of your stay. You're smart to be booking early.

One option that stands out is the Best Western Plus Seaport Inn Downtown. That's $238 (+ tax) and it should be a lovely time of year to stay down by the water. That's with a queen or king bed, the room has a mini fridge, and the rate includes continental breakfast. After tax is added, it's more like $274 though. That rate is on their own website, and it has free cancellation: …bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

Edited: 21 March 2014, 17:00
Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

If the UN Week is that week, not only will Midtown East hotels be mobbed with security details, but there will be traffic mayhem on the east side as well. Taxis and buses may get stuck in place for several minus at a time. West side traffic, not so much.

9. Re: 1st time to New York - advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:19