We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm at that stage where...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I'm at that stage where...

...I just need to be in NYC already! I've counted down from 195 days and now that it's into single digits (barely - 9 days to go) I'm finding it difficult to concentrate on anything else but New York.

Tenement Tour (Shop Life) and tickets to Jersey Boys are booked, reservations made at Quality Meats and Blue Smoke. I've been pondering style over comfort when it comes to shoes but, after reading a million TRs, I'm going for comfort with converse and a delightfully squishy-soled pair of Mary-Janes.

Tomorrow, in printing off tickets, reservations, voucher for free loaf of bread at Le Pain Quotidien ( don't ask!) and generally getting everything sorted that I possibly can.

Next week the wait (and I) will be unbearable. Luckily, I work in Social Media so I can keep an eye on my favourite NY Tweeters to keep me buoyed as I count the hours.

I know I'm not the only impatient traveller-to-be or NYC addict so I wondered if anyone else would like to share their preparation and coping techniques!

There...that killed another 5 minutes!!! ;)

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Have a fantastic trip! I've still got 8.5 MONTHS and I can barely think of anything else. I've even tried looking at doing mini European city breaks soon to take my mind off NYC! I don't like to wish time away but I do wish the trip was a lot sooner!

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Have a great time! I have 240 days til I go I've got an app on my phone that's doing a countdown for me haha! It was my first time travelling alone so I didn't know what to expect so I got stuck into the guide books, forums, youtube videos to get me fully prepared the week before I went and that seemed to subdue my excitement and giddiness much to everyone else's delight because I got told I got slightly annoying talking about NYC all the time lol

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Laura D. We have 8 1/2 months to go too! The time is CRAWLING by. Red head--your trip will be here before you know it--have a wonderful time ! Be sure to post a trip report when you get back--love reading what eveyone does on their trip !

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm at that stage where...

I have 15 MONTHS!! im way ahead of you guys in a backward way! haha. People in my family have had enough. But its the only thing on my mind!!! (and tongue) Although Im getting a little disheartend because I cant find the hostel im looking for! Where are you staying?

Edited: 21 March 2014, 15:03
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
898 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm at that stage where...

I'll confirm that you're wise to go with comfortable shoes. Alot of people don't realize how long the streets are in Manhattan and how much walking they'll actually be doing. There's alot of walking even in the two major museums (Natural History and Metropolitan Museum of Art). Really no need to pack anything fancy unless you're going to splurge for dinner in a fancy restaurant one or two evenings.

Keep an eye on the weather - the way things are going I have a feeling you're going to have to layer!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Thanks, guys. Kawsar, Laura and MPJones - I feel like the months flew by, it's just these last few weeks that seem to be dragging. But, as my mum always says (and this goes for Christmas, too) the planning and anticipation is just as much fun, so enjoy it!

We're staying at The Wall Street Inn - probably not a good location for a first timer but we've both been a few times before so we like the different location, nearer the Village than Midtown for a change.

Bardgirl -yup, it really should have been a no brainier but the first time I went to NY I had a sore toe and so wore the flimsiest flip flops and walked for miles with no pain. I now realise I was 9 years younger and it's unlikely I'd be able to do that now so comfy shoes it is! The weather was heating up a bit but I see it's to turn colder again over the next 10 days so layers are the plan!

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Definitely comfy shoes, have a great time, I am sure you will, and enjoy all the food, I am very envious, my next big holiday is Sept 2015.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Mmmmmmm the food!!!!!! I'm on a 5:2 fast today and spent lunchtime looking at pics of food on TA. And I may or may not have spent a while on the Target website checking out the different candy I want to buy...this obsession may have gone a little far! ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Ah I'm so glad im not the only one!! RedheadedWanderer82, Ive done the same but at Duane Reade!!! Its like the American equal of Boots I think? I hope to stay in Midtown but I want a fairly decent hostel seeing as I dont think we will spend an awful amount of time inside anyway. Just somewhere to lay my head! I dont think il be able to handle it if I go to NY and be underwelmed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm at that stage where...

Anyone know where to get good Bubble tea? I'm intrigued by the whole concept.