We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

Hi all,

My hubby and I will be honeymooning in NYC in a couple of weeks time and I'd like to dedicate a day and night to see some of the highlights of Brooklyn. We're staying at the new Hilton Garden Inn on W 54th St. Weather permitting, I'm aiming to do our "Brooklyn day" on a Saturday when the streets will be lively and also when the Fort Greene flea market is on.

I've compiled a list of things we're interested in below. I'm at the stage where I now need some advice around the logical way to order the day and transport to/from these areas or attractions. Is this too ambitious? etc.

Any comments welcome. TIA.

DAY

- Walk over Brooklyn Bridge

- Look around DUMBO (should we focus on any where in particular or is this area quite small?)

- Jane's Carousel

- Main Street Park (?)

- Washington Street (is this worthwhile taking a walk down?)

- The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory

- Grimaldi's Pizzeria (optional - probably just walk past, as anticipate this will be mid morning)

- Brooklyn Heights promenade

- Montague Street (is this a good street to walk down?)

- Atlantic Avenue

- Smith Street / Court Street

- Third Ave (how far down Third Ave is recommended?)

- Park Slope (any streets in particular we should walk down?)

- Prospect Park

- Fort Greene Flea Market

LATE AFTERNOON / EVENING

Head to Williamsburg

- Bedford Ave

- Brooklyn Brewery Tour / visit (optional if have time)

- Dinner @ Fette Sau

New York
Level Contributor
548 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

it is doable but you will need a good pair of walking shoes since you will be walking down brooklyn bridge park to atlantic ave. also don't forget to add Jacques Torres Chocolate Store to the list. Be prepared for a long line at Grimaldi's. Also once you get down to the Brooklyn Flea you might need to take the G train to Williamsburg.

Park Slope tends to be out of the way since you can easily fit the Brooklyn Bridge Park and Dumbo in one morning to early afternoon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

There's a lot of great stuff in there! But some of it is a bit spread out. Here's how I would do it. Your DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights section looks fine. I would skip the Brooklyn Ice Cream factory and instead hit up Jacques Torres as mentioned above or One Girl Cookies (both on Water Street) for sweets. And Washington Street is one of the ultimate views in NYC. It's the most recent shot on my instagram feed that I link to below. In Brooklyn Heights, spend some time on the promenade but some on the streets of the neighborhood. It's the best preserved historic district in the whole city. Montague Street will lead to Borough Hall and you can walk down Court Street from there. Court, Smith, and Atlantic all have cool shopping and shops to check out.

From there, I would take the subway to Park Slope. I don't know of anything particularly interesting on 3rd Ave, but maybe that's just me. Get the F or G train at Bergen Street and Smith Street and take a train towards Church Ave/Coney Island. Go 4 stops to 7th Ave and you are in Park Slope. 7th Ave is the shopping/dining stretch and 8th Ave has beautiful homes. One block East of 8th Ave is Prospect Park. Walk to your hearts content here!

After Prospect Park, I would exit at Grand Army Plaza. Walk under NYC's best triumphal arch and catch the subway at the North end of the plaza. Take a Manhattan-bound 2 or 3 train two stops to Atlantic Ave-Barclay's Center. You'll see the new arena on Flatbush Ave, walk one block North and take a right on Lafayette to get to the Flea (which is awesome).

From Ft. Greene, you would again take the Subway to reach Williamsburg. You can take a Queens-bounf G train from Clinton Ave and Lafayette. I would get off at Nassau Ave to be closer to Brooklyn Brewery and the north end of Williamsburg.

Whew! That will be a long day and if you find it's just taking up too much time, I would skip Prospect Park and Park Slope and just head straight to Fort Greene from Smith Street/Atlantic Ave area. I hope all this helps!

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

You are seriously underestimating the distances involved but that is usually the case for someone new to Brooklyn is over twice the size of Manhattan; a lot of people think of it as more of a neighborhood than a huge city (which if a stand-alone city would be the 4th largest city in the U.S.)

I live in Fort Greene - the G train is a bit notorious for being a slow poke but it is just 1/2 block from where the Brooklyn Flea takes place on Lafayette - which is about a 10 minute walk from the subway stop mentioned in post #1

I agree re: Brooklyn Heights - mooch around some of the side streets - the ones names after fruits are good choices - the homes/buildings are stunning (your guidebook will provide you with some of the extraordinary history of Brooklyn - well worth knowing so you can more fully appreciate the areas you will be visiting - )

Keep in mind Prospect Park is roughly the same size as Central Park (designed by the same fellows too) - it is gigantic and, frankly, I too would skip it with such an itinerary.

I live here and this itinerary would pretty much kill me off - but, I think you will find that what you are able to do will be very interesting but I really do emphasize learning some of the history of the area because it is (as it is in Manhattan) extremely rich and fascinating and, sadly, unknown to lot of people who even live here.

Myself, my building is perched right atop land that George Washington and troops used as a perch (as it were) as it is somewhat elevated but still close enough to the East River to see the movements/actions during the war - that's just one tiny example.

I'd suggest choosing your route and your choices carefully so you don't end up disappointed at what you can't get to at the end of the day.

I wish the pizza at Grimaldis was really worth the silly amount of waiting time but it's really not - but, everyone has to decide for themselves - it's just a waste of a lot of precious time for such a full day. If you go, I do hope you enjoy it

SE QLD
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

Great post halo39 (how are you managing to plan a wedding and a trip to New York at the same time? Which has priority?!). We too are heading to Brooklyn ( and staying at the HGI) and these replies are great. By the time you arrive the outdoor Smorgasburg will be open www.brooklynflea.com/markets/smorgasburg/

NY, NY
Level Contributor
184 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

I would keep your trip to Brooklyn limited to Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo, Williamsburg and maybe Greenpoint. Save Park Slope, the park and Fort Greene for another time.

Perhaps taking the subway to Brooklyn Heights....walk around there...hit the promenade and walk to DUMBO, walk around there. There is ferry that you then take to Williamsburg from DUMBO and is also stops at Greenpoint. ( you can buy a hop on, hop off pass) Once you are done you can take the ferry back to DUMBO and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge. By then it might be getting dark and you can check out the NYC skyline.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

I think you're missing out on some of my favorite things in Brooklyn.

The Carroll Gardens neighborhood is really one of my favorites - it has such great shops and restaurants and bars and it is just so incredibly charming. I particularly like Smith Street (south of Atlantic Avenue) and Court Street (also south of Atlantic Avenue). One of my absolute favorites is The Chocolate Room - so wrong but oh so so good. www.thechocolateroombrooklyn.com/‎

One of my favorite things is where the F and G trains emerge from the tunnel after Carroll Street making Smith / 9th Streets the next stop. It is like riding a roller coaster on the subway (but not scary at all). The Carroll Street station is underground and then the next stop - Smith / 9th Streets - is the highest station above ground in the NYC Subway system. It is so cool and you get stunning views of the Manhattan skyline, downtown Brooklyn, the Gowanus Canal, the Statue of Liberty and New York Harbor - there is absolutely nothing like it (and most tourists have no idea and there is absolutely no additional charge for this and yes it is very very safe)

I love Park Slope and Prospect Park - this is the real New York City where people live much quieter lives and there is none of the pretense that some say exists here in Manhattan.

Williamsburg is awesome too - excellent.

Montague Street is the main drag in Brooklyn Heights but it doesn't warrant a lot of your time.

I don't know what you've heard / read about Third Avenue - I also don't know how much it has changed but I used to ride my bike down 3rd Avenue after I went across the Brooklyn Bridge - it's fine but not nearly as appealing as Court and Smith Streets in Carroll Gardens (unless there is something new there that I don't know about - the City is constantly changing)

7. Re: Rough plan for 1 day in Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32