We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

This is our 1st trip to NYC, we are going as a family, we do want to be close to all the attractions, subway & proximity to good food is a must, everyone has told us to stay near Times Square but I just don't know!

I have been quoted the same rate to stay at either The NYLO Hotel on the UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows these 2 hotels, which would be preferable? Is the proximity to attractions etc much of a muchness?

I can get a Deluxe Queen suite at the NYLO or a Large room w a view at the Distrikt for the same price, we have 2 kids travelling with us.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

Location is big. Times Square is more centrally located for attractions. Upper West Side has Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Plannetarium. More of a neighborhood feel, plenty of restaurants, less touristy. I like the UWS better than Times Square, but I would stay in TS.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

How old are the kids? What time of year are you coming? How many nights? Are the kids happy sharing a bed? Why just these 2 hotels? There are hotels that have suites with 2 doubles or 2 queens plus sofabed and some with 2 queen beds. The Distrikt room will be 2 double beds. Bottom line, imo, neither is ideal although both are nice hotels.

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

Thankyou for your replies.

NYWhiz, we are staying 7nts in August, 2 kids & they are expecting to share a bed but if I could find a suitable hotel with 2 queens & a sofa bed, that would be amazing.

I chose those 2 hotels as, a) the Distrikt for location, reviews & got a good price, well what I thought was a gd price for that time of year in NY, b) NYLO as it appear to be a nice hotel Ina good location & room is 2QN suite.

A nice room & hotel is important, I prefer more modern & updated, however in NY this is very restrictive due to the cost.

Quotes are around the US$2300 mark for 7nts inc. tax, I thought that reasonable?

Any further advice on hotels, location etc is so appreciated :)

Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

I haven't stayed at either but I personally love the UWS and have stayed directly opposite the NYLO and thought the location was excellent, really close to subway stations, places to grab snacks and breakfast right there and just a really nice area to be able to walk in, can wander over to the park and can walk down to columbus circle, with good nice shops in the area too. Next trip I am staying in midtown but am coming as a group of women, trip after that when I will have my 4 year old nephew and 14 year old neices I will choose that area (and probably that hotel, The Belleclaire, which I loved) again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,945 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

I would choose the Distrikt for a first trip. It's a great hotel, it's walking distance to Times Square for the kids, it's around the corner from some great eating spots and you are really close to excellent subway connections across the street. The UWS is lovely but for a first trip I'd choose the Distrikt.

Don't eat in Times Square, there are cheap and casual eating spots nearby: eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

The 2 queen bed suite at the Nylo I assume is one real bed and a sofabed that's a queen. You haven't said how old the kids are but there are hotels with. 2 double or queen beds in the bedroom and there are regular rooms with 2 queens that will be bigger than what you'll get at the Distrikt. I can't advise you without the ages of the kids and exact dates but I would certainly lean toward NYLO in this instance for the added space over a week's stay, 2 tvs and the ability to shut a door.

The San Carlos and Best Western Hospitality have 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

We are just back from Distrikt and loved it! Not sure if under 18's allowed though?

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

Thankyou for all your replies

Lauren68, the Distrikt is aware of kids ages & they have been very welcoming.

NYwhiz, dates are early aug, travelling with a young child & teenager.

Distrikt room is a "larger room" with 2dbls & NYLO is a Deluxe QN QN Suite???

I know the NYLO room is bigger, but not sure what will be better location wise, but in saying that, don't want to spend 7nts in NYC in an uncomfortably small room.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

You are focused on location and I am focused on what will be comfortable. As long as you're near a subway, the location is fine. I just went to the NYLO website and found the photo of this so called queen queen suite, It's just a ROOM (and a small one at that) with 2 queen beds and very tight quarters. I would kill myself in this size room with 2 kids! If the link doesn't open to the correct picture, it's no. 4. Unless there's a separate sitting room (which I doubt) I don't get it.

nylohotels.com/nyc/new-york-hotel-hotel-3-9.…

Without exact dates and a budget, I can't help.

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYLO -UWS or Distrikt Hotel-Times Square?????

NYWhiz dates are 7-14 aug & my budget would be $2400 inc tax, is this a realistic budget for this time of year? I think it is but maybe I'm wrong........